Dual USB port installation

jaytee

Hey everyone,

First post!

I've bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161722777179?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And i'm wondering what the easiest way to install it will be? I'm going to use one of the ports where you would put the fog light switch as it's made for that space. It's purely to power my phone no audio.

Is it a easy install or should I just take it to my local auto sparky to get it done?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

These things are awesome! I did something similar for charging my phone as shown in this thread. They're fairly easy to install, and going by the pictures of the item on Ebay, I'd suggest just purchasing a bunch of splice connectors like these ones at Jaycar and finding a suitable source of 12 V power. With my setup in the linked thread (i.e. next to the side mirror controls) I used the splice connectors to hook them up lead that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter socket. I've got a second one of the exact same kind intended for use by passengers in the centre console part (next to the aux 12 V socket) which is similarly connected using the splice connectors to the centre console part of the lead that powers the cigarette lighter socket.

These things are awesome! I did something similar for charging my phone as shown in this thread. They're fairly easy to install, and going by the pictures of the item on Ebay, I'd suggest just purchasing a bunch of splice connectors like these ones at Jaycar and finding a suitable source of 12 V power. With my setup in the linked thread (i.e. next to the side mirror controls) I used the splice connectors to hook them up lead that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter socket. I've got a second one of the exact same kind intended for use by passengers in the centre console part (next to the aux 12 V socket) which is similarly connected using the splice connectors to the centre console part of the lead that powers the cigarette lighter socket.

Thanks acid8000! I'm really new at wiring etc. Is it easy to tell which wire I should splice on the front cigarette? Do I need to take out the whole centre console to get to it? Thanks for you help bro!

No worries jaytee. This post by Bangtown gives a brief overview of how to remove the centre console. Yes you do need to remove the back part of the centre console to access the back of the lighter socket (i.e. the section between the A/C controls to just in front of the arm rest box). For the wiring, simply use the splice connectors with the thicker wiring on the cables leading to the lighter socket part. The thinner ones are only for powering the green LED light that illuminates the socket and the ash tray. The colours should match those on the USB port part.

Hope this helps.

No worries jaytee. This post by Bangtown gives a brief overview of how to remove the centre console. Yes you do need to remove the back part of the centre console to access the back of the lighter socket (i.e. the section between the A/C controls to just in front of the arm rest box). For the wiring, simply use the splice connectors with the thicker wiring on the cables leading to the lighter socket part. The thinner ones are only for powering the green LED light that illuminates the socket and the ash tray. The colours should match those on the USB port part.

Hope this helps.

Helps heaps acid8000. Thanks again for this.

I've just got one more question that you may be able to help me with. The gap between the aircon controls and where the compartment is for the cigarette lighter and ashtray/coins etc. Is there anyway to get a pocket for that or is there something behind it that needs to be covered? Do you know of anyone that has made it into a pocket like one you would get when converting a 2din stereo space to 1din space? I'm just curious as I have a little wifi/airplay box that is run of 5v usb power and was thinking I could put it in that space.

Thanks again!

Mate you can turn that into anything you like! It won't fit a full single DIN unit however as the side parts intrude on that space further back. If you're willing to do a bit of work with a Dremel and depending on how professional you want it to look there's lots of options. cya bye did a fantastic mod with putting a Scangauge there as seen in this thread. While I did a much less professional looking, but still decent I think, mod of putting a smaller than single DIN CB radio unit in there as seen in the below photo.

23202127805_1b9ad1da40_h.jpg

Whatever ideas you come up with, be sure to share them here mate!