Performance affect from Muffler Delete?

Aurion2Envy

Thank you for all your replies guys, I took my aurion down to my local exhaust shop and they recommend I replace both my rear mufflers with smaller "sports" mufflers, and they gave me a quote of $550 for parts and labour, does that sound reasonable? Also would 2 smaller performance mufflers at the back sound nice?

I took my ZR6 to a Exhaust place and got them to remove the middle resonator and put in straight pipe. I got 2 new smaller 'sports' mufflers on rear with chrome tips

Cost me about $250 so $550 seems excessive.

Has a nice tone to it . Definite improvement over stock.

Pics here http://imgur.com/a/N1a17

On 1/7/2016 at 6:48 PM, DeviousZR6 said:

I took my ZR6 to a Exhaust place and got them to remove the middle resonator and put in straight pipe. I got 2 new smaller 'sports' mufflers on rear with chrome tips

Cost me about $250 so $550 seems excessive.

Has a nice tone to it . Definite improvement over stock.

Pics here http://imgur.com/a/N1a17

if you could record a video of how it sounds I'm sure it would help a lot of us! :)

XIo5

1 hour ago, Aurion2Envy said:

if you could record a video of how it sounds I'm sure it would help a lot of us! :)

In the post below are 4 'MP4' files

1. Cold start and reverse

2. A little Rev

3. Start and move

4. Move to accelerate to 2nd(Sorry for wind noise)

Edited by DeviousZR6
Edited Videos

11 hours ago, DeviousZR6 said:

You're an absolute legend mate! Thanks for that, what rear mufflers are those? and did you feel any power loss? or did you feel more power gain?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aurion2Envy said:

did you feel any power loss? or did you feel more power gain?

Placebo at best.

You are not going to improve your 1/4 mile times by changing 2 mufflers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Placebo at best.

You are not going to improve your 1/4 mile times by changing 2 mufflers.

No loss no gain, but definitely more noise than just engine.

May experiment with a Hotdog Resonator and will be going 2.25''/2.5'' from Cat back in a month or so.

Got to pop into the exhaust place this week so I will get the name of the mufflers.

My mate has a 08 SX6 and he had the same done, sounds great. His old mufflers were starting to peel away on top where the join is so it wasn't a loss doing it.

Edited by DeviousZR6

On my TRD aurion I did a muffler delete and just had two 2 1/4" straight pipes bolted on. I did like the note it gave also gave a ridiculous amount of supercharger whine. Only problem I found that annoyed me was the resonance of the exhaust at 50kmph. Also at 100 to 110kmph the constant drone from the engine load.

I had two small resonators installed to kill some of the drone. It did work to some effect but it was still bad enough that i went back to my stock mufflers. Personally the only way you will get a quality note for the 2gr"s is spending the money and putting a decent stainless steel cat back system. Different resonators and keeping the 2 mufflers on the back. Im looking into something along the lines of lukey systems

Edited by TRD #527
Spelling Error

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up a old thread, my wife's 2015 oem Camry has 2" exhaust going into 2 x mufflers 2" in and 2" out, which makes them bigger then our Aurion's oem mufflers. If some one works at a muffler shop Maybe you can check to see if they cross reference to fit ?? 

• 2 months later...

I've tried both,

taking off the rear section of the exhaust (the last two mufflers) and it sounded like a commodore straight out of Logan (no offence intended)

taking out the middle section, sounded a bit like a V6 Aston Martin...

personaly, if I could afford it, I'd have three varex, two mufflers behind the rear bar and one to replace the resonator.

gives you complete flexibility and convenience.