Toyota Camry Hybrid 2012 Illuminated Door Sill Installation

Electricity

Hi guys, just wanted to give out some information on a great deal I managed to find on Camry / Camry Hybrid 2012 to early 2015 model illuminated stainless steel sill plates. The one below I purchased sells for around $90AU on eBay. Managed to find the same one on Aliexpress for $49US ($66AU) shipped. ($2 discount coupon applied)

Its a much better one than most of the models on eBay as it uses OEM retention clips rather than just sticky tape. Solid and good quality stainless steel plates. Also has black surrounds for the finished look. I will update with some high resolution photo's once installed but need help with installation. ^_^

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fit-For-Toyota-Camry-2012-2013-Blue-LED-Door-Sill-Protector-Pedals-Scuff-Plate-Guards-Sills/32333520526.html

It only has 2 exposed wires for connection to the car and the whole loom is plug and play with the 4 sill plates. (All 4 illuminate) See photo's below. If anyone has any experience fitting this type, I would appreciate some help as to what location is best to tap the open door signal from. I have removed the rear seats and rear carpet to do some MLV sound deadening (road noise) so I have everything ready to go, just need help with where to tap the open door light source from.

Camry 2012 Illuminated Sill Plate Loom

Camry 2012 Illuminated Sill Plate Connector

Camry 2012 Illuminated Sill Plate Wires

Camry 2012 Illuminated Sill Plate Instructions

Thanks mate. Funny thing is that this variant is pre wired for all 4 sills as you can see in the photo's. (plug and play) Just the 2 red and black exposed wires with a fuse. I am asuming if I tap into the interior dome light, all 4 sills will light up when ANY door is opened, I am actually fine with that but need the wiring diagram for the Aussie version of the Camry to find the dome wires for a suitable tap location. Anyone has access to the wiring diagrams?

If anyone else has solved this issue, please chime in. Want to do it right the first time. I will keep digging. Sigh.

Edited by Electricity

I found some instructions online but it is based on the US Camry model. I thought that is awesome as I could just swap the left side for right side and follow the instructions that way but when I took the cowls out and sill trims off, the PDF instructions don't exactly correspond to the Aussie version (some plugs are different even when you 'rotate' the instructions from Left to Right. See link below for the official 2012 - 2015 US Camry Instructions.

I think it is best for me to get the wiring diagram for the car, anyone have links to the wiring diagrams on the Aussie Camry 2012 and up? Will be much help.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT922-03121inst.pdf

Edited by Electricity

My kit was genuine Toyota. front only illuminate. My auto elec. could not sort it so I purchased the genuine Toyota wiring kit. Still could not sort it Gave him 2 different USA wiring instructions, he could not sort it. This sparky cost me a lot in labour but eventually had only 2 front sills each one lit up as either fron door opened. I then took the job to Toyota and now both fron sills light when either front door is opened. They do not light when opening the rear doors. No control from the overhead light switch at all. I also had the toyota tech. add in under dash and under seat blue leds. The whole exercise including parts & labour has cost me close to $2000.oo.. and still I do not have exactly what I want. The USA sites saying clip in here or scotch lok there make it seem so very easy.

Would I do it again ....maybe. By the way can you show the link to your supplier for the sill kit ? i may do the rear sills on my SL.

Yea mate, the Sill Plate I got is super awesome. Solid, black plastic surrounds and OEM retention clips. See the first post for link. They look amazing and fitment is precise. No gaps, etc. Basically as close to OEM for less than $100 dollars. They are on eBay if you find it but they cost more. On Aliexpress, straight from the middleman, I managed to get it for $49US shipped.

Regarding installation, I wish I had a spare $2000 for Sill Plate and Foot Well installation via Toyota, hehe (nervous laugh). I have a backup plan, if by the weekend I cannot find a wiring diagram for the model I will do the old fashioned way. Basically instead of finding an existing positive hot wire in the car (no Aussie Camry wiring diagrams I can find so can't risk using US Camry Wiring Diagrams)), I will just run a fused wire straight from the battery (In the back convenient location for the Hybrid models) and than use the door open switch tabs to use the ground. Each sill plate will light up individually depending on which door is opened. It's a better installation method than just tapping into the dome light wire but 5 times more work.

Will update with photo's on the weekend with instructions for all future members and Googlers having the same issues with instructions.

I managed to get the Australian version of the genuine illuminated sill instruction manual and I kid you not, it requires you to dismantle half of your dashboard for the wires, lol. I didn't follow that, I designed my own method. My method is cleaner and better plus all 4 sill lights up instead of just 2 front ones (genuine kit).

Best of all I used the wiring harness supplied in the sill kit to distribute positive so no need to run positive wires to each sill. (The harness goes straight to the battery. Plug and play. Just had to slice each sill ground wire to plug into the door open tabs. Door open tabs access to the rear is by removing rear bench seat (no bolts required, just pull up) and side bolsters (1 bolt each). The front tabs are accessed by the middle black trim kit (pop open, no screws or bolts). Too easy. Ran the harness under the bench seats at the same time.

$66 for sill plates

$5 Scotchlocks.

$5 trim remover plastic tools.

Looks amazing.