Can't get a replacement VVTI Oil line?

Aurion2Envy

Hey guys I have a 2007 Aurion SX6 with 152,000kms it's still running on the rubber VVTI Oil line and hasn't had that line rupture *touchwood* although I thought I best change it, I called Toyota and they took my rego number and comfirmed that my car needs to have the Metal oil line put in, however the person I spoke to said it could take months before the part comes in as they have a huge load of orders for the line? Now that's just ridiculous.... Why do they not stock this part if it's known common replacement part, does anyone know if I would be able to get the replacement part any faster as I'm now afraid to drive my Aurion around because I don't want the line to burst.

Edited by Aurion2Envy

The backlog is because Toyota can only produce a certain number of lines per period of time. There are probably millions of 2GR engines worldwide. There is a good chance that may not be able to obtain stock.

Have you tried sourcing the part online? The part number for the VVTi metal line is 15772-31030. I'd highly recommend replacing the front oil cooler hose at the same time with the latest metal version too, as it'll likely leak not long after the rear line (mine went just 2 months after replacing the rear one). The part number for that one is 15767-31020.

Just before my VVTi line sprung a leak I remember saying to someone "my one hasn't leaked yet, touch wood" and one weeks later I noticed oil drips on the garage floor, so hopefully you haven't just jinxed yourself like I did :P. Fortunately that time I caught it before it actually ruptured, but I wasn't so lucky when the front oil cooler line decided to go without any warning, leaving me stranded at a petrol station with oil squirting out from under the car.

So to cut a long story short, I'd hunt around online, maybe ring a few other dealers incase they have any sitting on their shelves, and as a last resort try getting the metal lines secondhand from a wrecker, as they may have some damaged engines or be willing to strip one off a good engine for the right price. Either way, good on you for being proactive about replacing it before disaster strikes, because it's not a case of if, but when....... ;)

• Like 1

So I brought my car into Toyota today and they inspected it to confirm I need the recall done, they said it will be free although it may take from 6 to 12 months? that is just a bloody joke, so does this mean if my Aurion's oil line fails and ruins the engine that Toyota and gonna come and give me a 2015 Aurion free of charge?

Edited by Aurion2Envy

So I brought my car into Toyota today and they inspected it to confirm I need the recall done, they said it will be free although it may take from 6 to 12 months? that is just a bloody joke, so does this mean if my Aurion's oil line fails and ruins the engine that Toyota and gonna come and give me a 2015 Aurion free of charge?

For the recall they'll likely just put the 'revised' rubber line in anyway that came on the facelift models, so you could be waiting 6-months for no real gain. As I mentioned above, try sourcing the full metal line elsewhere and get Toyota to cover the labour since it's part of the recall anyway. Sounds like a fair compromise to me.

For the recall they'll likely just put the 'revised' rubber line in anyway that came on the facelift models, so you could be waiting 6-months for no real gain. As I mentioned above, try sourcing the full metal line elsewhere and get Toyota to cover the labour since it's part of the recall anyway. Sounds like a fair compromise to me.

I'm not sure where to find the parts outside of Toyota :help: they even told me they are the only ones that would be able to get the parts, where did you get your parts Full-Throttle? PS: They said they stock the parts but it's ONLY for emergencys, such as when people get there Aurion towed to Toyota because the VVTI Oil line has completley drained all their oil.

Also I was pleased to find out one of the workers at my Local Toyota owns a TRD Aurion :clap: so I thought why not take a quick photo with his TRD Aurion.

yRKdOhc.jpg

Edited by Aurion2Envy

^ Niiicccee B)

I'm not sure where to find the parts outside of Toyota :help: they even told me they are the only ones that would be able to get the parts, where did you get your parts Full-Throttle? PS: They said they stock the parts but it's ONLY for emergencys, such as when people get there Aurion towed to Toyota because the VVTI Oil line has completley drained all their oil.

Haha, they only keep them or emergencies? Maybe a change of plan: Call them up in a panic and tell them that your oil line has burst and you need one URGENTLY! :o :lol:. Plan B would be to buy them from Amayama. Here's a link to each of the lines:

Rear VVTi line: https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=15772-31030

Front oil cooler line: https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=15767-31020

I work at a Toyota wrecker so I got them through work, so a bit of an unfair advantage in this case :P, but they're definitely out there if you look hard enough ;)

• Like 1

^ Niiicccee B)

Haha, they only keep them or emergencies? Maybe a change of plan: Call them up in a panic and tell them that your oil line has burst and you need one URGENTLY! :o :lol:. Plan B would be to buy them from Amayama. Here's a link to each of the lines:

Rear VVTi line: https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=15772-31030

Front oil cooler line: https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=15767-31020

I work at a Toyota wrecker so I got them through work, so a bit of an unfair advantage in this case :P, but they're definitely out there if you look hard enough ;)

Thanks for the all the help guys. :D, If I were to buy those 2 parts from that website, would I be able to get my mechanic to fit them in? or are there more parts that I need?

The new part they put in is the solid pipe, would be pretty stupid to put back in a rubber one. They have parts in stock but they are for ones that come in leaking. They are waiting for parts from Japan

There have been many posts online about Toyota replacing the line with the updated rubber one, so it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers out there tried their luck. There were even some reports about dealers saying things like "the new metal line isn't compatible with your car" etc. It definitely wouldn't make sense to use anything other than the solid pipe these days though since how well documented it is, but after experiencing first hand how quickly both of these lines can squirt out the majority of your engine oil and leave you stranded it's not something I'd be waiting for to arrive from Japan.

Thanks for the all the help guys. :D, If I were to buy those 2 parts from that website, would I be able to get my mechanic to fit them in? or are there more parts that I need?

You could buy the two gaskets for the front oil cooler pipe at the same time, but other than that you won't need anything else.

The new part they put in is the solid pipe, would be pretty stupid to put back in a rubber one. They have parts in stock but they are for ones that come in leaking. They are waiting for parts from Japan

There have been many posts online about Toyota replacing the line with the updated rubber one, so it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers out there tried their luck. There were even some reports about dealers saying things like "the new metal line isn't compatible with your car" etc. It definitely wouldn't make sense to use anything other than the solid pipe these days though since how well documented it is, but after experiencing first hand how quickly both of these lines can squirt out the majority of your engine oil and leave you stranded it's not something I'd be waiting for to arrive from Japan.

You could buy the two gaskets for the front oil cooler pipe at the same time, but other than that you won't need anything else.

what are the two gaskets called can I find them on amayama? also do I need them to install the front oil cooler pipe?

what are the two gaskets called can I find them on amayama? also do I need them to install the front oil cooler pipe?

The part number for the oil cooler line gaskets are 11496-31010 (engine side) and 15785-31010 (oil cooler side). Both gaskets can be bought from Amayama. There are a few washers for the rear VVTi oil line but I ended up reusing my old ones, however the part numbers for those are: 90430-16012 (2x required) and 90430-16016.

• Like 1

What do i have to look at in the engine bay to see if i still have the rubber hose?

Look at the back of the engine on the driver's side and you'll see a pipe that goes downwards. You'll easily be able to tell if you have the full metal line or the rubber one. Here's some pics for your reference:

post-36540-0-65766900-1410853989-resized

Aurion-leak.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had the oil cooler hose go recently and it was fixed under recall with a metal hose, however the VVTi line was just replaced with another rubber hose. Toyota claimed that it only needed a rubber replacement hose because the oil through the VVTi line is not pressurised. Was just wondering if this is true?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris can you confirm the lower oil cooler hoses are being replaced free of charge. My 2008 Aurion dumped the oil out in the works car park. I have been in touch with my local dealer and he has been a bit vague without inspecting the car. However I would need to get it towed in, as it's ****** oil out from the upper of the 2 pipes shown in the picture so it's not driveable. It's ironic as my car was due to have the vvti top pipe checked when my dashboard gets replaced for the "sticky dash" issue. If the bottom pipe is covered then the dealer said Toyota will cover the cost of towing to the garage

IMAG0007[1].jpg

IMAG0008[1].jpg

Edited by morphski

Hi morphski, yes it was replaced free of charge. I've submitted a claim for the tow in - this should hopefully be refunded too. Good luck - I know how much it sucks to have these car problems :-)

On 19/12/2015 at 1:19 PM, Full-Throttle said:

Look at the back of the engine on the driver's side and you'll see a pipe that goes downwards. You'll easily be able to tell if you have the full metal line or the rubber one. Here's some pics for your reference:

post-36540-0-65766900-1410853989-resized

Aurion-leak.jpg

Thanks for the helpful pictures, it appears that i still have the rubber hoses ill look into the cost on getting it done. Will replacing them stop the rattle/grinding i hear sometimes on startup or is that something else?

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

Thanks for the helpful pictures, it appears that i still have the rubber hoses ill look into the cost on getting it done. Will replacing them stop the rattle/grinding i hear sometimes on startup or is that something else?

Something else. Do a search for VVT-i rattle.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2016 at 2:29 PM, Chris AU said:

Hi morphski, yes it was replaced free of charge. I've submitted a claim for the tow in - this should hopefully be refunded too. Good luck - I know how much it sucks to have these car problems :-)

I could do with some help from anyone who knows about the top vvti pipe behind the cover as mentioned earlier in this post. Well after my car got towed to the local dealer and they had it for a month, I finally got it back yesterday. The dashboard was replaced for the "sticky dash issue" and the bottom oil cooler pipe was also replaced, see attached pic of all metal jacket type. Now the thing that really ****** me off, is that the mechanic has noted top "vvti pipe minor leak" but it hasn't been replaced. This rubber hose would of suffered the same heat and strain as the bottom hose that failed in a catastrophic way (luckily the car was crawling along and no engine damage was caused) I challenged the dealer and he said it's not covered. I told him i'm not happy to drive the car when it has the ability to fail in the same way as the bottom pipe, unless Toyota state in writing that they will cover any engine damage should the pipe fail dumping all the oil out! I also requested a copy of the invoice which he hasn't given me, he basically gave me the keys back and said no charge. Can anyone supply a customer service bulletin, or a copy of the invoice that states the top pipe is being replaced free of charge??

Cheers

IMAG0051.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just visited a dealership about the VVTI Oil Line. Apparently this wasn't a recall due to a 'Different area code' and he informed me that the engine's here from america are totally different. He said to me that this part was a recall in america but not in Australia? We got the pipe oil cooler done and apparently that was the only acknowledged recall in Sydney. If the part leaks, they said that they we had to bring it back and they'd have to contact the head office. Is this valid? 

It makes no sense in my opinion. I tried arguing with the dealership but they displayed all the notices and the VVTI Oil Line didn't come up. Is there a reason why some dealerships on this forum acknowledge it's a recall and some don't? 

Well the dealer who fixed the dash and bottom oil cooler pipe has fobbed me off with this

Unfortunately, as stated on the day, Toyota have decided that due to the bottom oil cooler pipe being a failure that they know about, they have taken it upon themselves to offer an extended goodwill warranty program on that particular item. The same goes for the dash as well.

That being said, that doesn’t mean that they are able to extend that warranty for the whole of the vehicle. The top VVTI hose leaking is not part of the goodwill warranty program that Toyota have offered, and as such they are unable to offer assistance with any repair costs in regards to that hose.  As we have a duty of care to our guests to let them know if we see any issues, we felt it prudent to inform you of the slight leak from that hose when we completed the other repairs. That being said, the minor leak from the top VVTI hose is not a common or well known failure with your vehicle.

I very much doubt they would manufacture a different engine for the U.S market. They probably recalled them because they were scared of a lawsuit of someone being killed or badly injured due to oil spilling out of the engine compartment onto the road! Let me know how you get on, Will try and ring Toyota next week and express my concern about how Austalian customers are treated differently than the US where that car has had numerous bulletins. Toyota tell lies, so they would deny they ever created this applicable to the 2GR-FE (V6) engine

toyota_oilhose.pdf

Edited by morphski
  • Like 1