Keys for V8 cruiser Ute

Workin

The ignition key which I use daily is wearing , so I purchased a new Blank from the local dealer , took it to a locksmith who copied another Master key which is no worn.

Then I was told that even though the key fitted and would operate in the ignition I could not start the engine until the key was programmed .

I did some research and was told that I would need to take all my keys to a dealer for reprogramming and Toyota will only allow a certain number of keys .

I would like to know why this is as I own this vehicle and since purchasing it I have done around 230k klms , no big deal , just replace brake pads and do normal services etc.

I am having an ongoing battle with Toyota and the ANCAP people over my specifications for a Bullbar .

summary of this is Must be steel , 4mm , securely mounted to protect the front against animal strikes , eg 70kg roo at 110klms and hour and keep driving after checking for damage to critial areas .

The current one has collapsing mounts which basically render it useless as I can have up to fourteen hits one way in a trip of 1000 klms.

I am currently completing minor repairs to a six cylinder vehicle which was my daily drive , it has 630-650000 klms on it and is way better to drive than the new ones.

I will not purchase another new vehicle from any manufacturer as I consider them to all be unfit for service in my application .

Which is to go to sites and repair customers equipment , carrying spares and all tools etc which is required . average trip 1000 klms in a day.

The key issue is the last straw with these people .

The key issue is not mentioned either in the handbooks or by dealer/sales.

However I did have suspicions when purchasing it , (2013 not 2003 my mistake), as we are living in a nanny state where no one wants to be responsible for their actions.

If I was to become stranded in a remote area due to the "safety system" , I would be after someone's backside for it .

What ever happened to being able to make a choice with vehicles ?

I do know that the six would be able to take the hits and continue , but I made a mistake and listened to people who do not operate as I do and also dont place any value on a vehicle .

I wont where possible be making any insurance claims either , as I had a nasty experience with a large company once where they acted as though the vehicle was theirs and I would have to wait until an assessor had approved the repairs , they were dumped and I still insure vehicles but only because our work requires them to be insured as well as third party.

I do not think that I am going to get very far with this problem as I am in the minority with my problem and its hard to find unbiased opinions anywhere as most people accept what the manufacturers and the governments dish out .

Laws can be changed , but usually vehicles owners are the loosers, as pedestrians have more rights , than we do.

But dont forget that at sometime we are all pedestrians , I will always try to give way to vehicles and we also vote both at the ballot box and with our wallets .

I am now beginning to get the earlier ute back to being the main vehicle and the V8 with all its "safety " gear will be relegated to town work or just parked in the yard.

I still need a backup vehicle so that I can continue to work if there is a mechanical failure or accident , as I only allow my work to be delayed by a couple of days not months .

The ignition key which I use daily is wearing , so I purchased a new Blank from the local dealer , took it to a locksmith who copied another Master key which is no worn.

Then I was told that even though the key fitted and would operate in the ignition I could not start the engine until the key was programmed .

I did some research and was told that I would need to take all my keys to a dealer for reprogramming and Toyota will only allow a certain number of keys .

There are only a certain amount of slots in the computers memory which is divided into Master keys and Valet keys, it should be 4 master keys and 2 valet.

Depending on what transponder system your key is using, a lot of these can be cloned so the car can not differentiate between the original and cloned key, which means that you can have as many as you like. This is not something that Toyota can do. All the Toyota keys can be cloned excluding the Prox keys and transponder ones with a "H" stamped on the metal blade.

If you have an existing master key you can program and delete the keys yourself, so no trip to the dealer. Unless it's changed in the 2013 model.