newbie questions

gizmobazz

hopefully i am posting in correct spot.

ive just purchased a xv20 camry 2000 model 4 cylinder.

it has central locking but no remote?

did this car come with a remote control?

can i purchase a new one if so?

also does it open the boot too?

any help cheers bazz

It should be remote central locking. I would say the remote(s) have been either lost of broken at some stage and the previous owner hasn't bothered replacing them.

Yes you can buy new ones, but they will need to be coded. From memory there are few guides around that will direct you how to do so.

It should be remote central locking. I would say the remote(s) have been either lost of broken at some stage and the previous owner hasn't bothered replacing them.

Yes you can buy new ones, but they will need to be coded. From memory there are few guides around that will direct you how to do so.

Had this exact issue when we bought Kevin. If you buy a genuine one off eBay (as I did), most of them will come with the instructions to match the remote to the car. Since the transponder is in the key-fob rather than the remote, it's a pretty simple process (since you don't have to worry about coding to the immobiliser).

thanks guys for the help. ive looked up the pricing of those remotes and they are really expensive.

however i can purchase a whole new remote locking kit for about one tenth of the car remote price .

so i may do this instead.

i dont know how the security system works in the car. but i cannot see a siren or immobilzer anywhere.

so hopefully another remote wired in wont effect it.

thanks guys for the help. ive looked up the pricing of those remotes and they are really expensive.

however i can purchase a whole new remote locking kit for about one tenth of the car remote price .

so i may do this instead.

i dont know how the security system works in the car. but i cannot see a siren or immobilzer anywhere.

so hopefully another remote wired in wont effect it.

You can buy a whole new remote locking kit for $8??

mr minit key cutting place in the shopping centre.

maybe i am looking or searching wrong but i couldnt find a cheapy on ebay. the cheapest ones i found on ebay say that you need your old remote so you can program it . but i dont have the old remote.

anyway this is getting to be too much effort . i think i will just stick to opening it with the key.

thanks all for your help.

mr minit key cutting place in the shopping centre.

maybe i am looking or searching wrong but i couldnt find a cheapy on ebay. the cheapest ones i found on ebay say that you need your old remote so you can program it . but i dont have the old remote.

anyway this is getting to be too much effort . i think i will just stick to opening it with the key.

thanks all for your help.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Genuine-Car-Remote-TGB-Camry-1997-2000-1-Button-/251251370914?hash=item3a7fbfaba2:m:m1JOhnlstmO7CraaYVddYrQ

$87 for a genuine remote, with battery, free postage, and with instructions on how to program it without an existing remote. That is the EXACT one I bought earlier this year.

• Like 1

maybe this is the exact remote i need ?

But the advert says

"This remote will only work if your existing remote looks identical to the remote pictured!"

as i don't have the existing remote i don't want to fork out that much money for it to be wrong.

you guys who are in the know about this stuff may think i am being too cautious. :unsure:

maybe this is the exact remote i need ?

But the advert says

"This remote will only work if your existing remote looks identical to the remote pictured!"

as i don't have the existing remote i don't want to fork out that much money for it to be wrong.

you guys who are in the know about this stuff may think i am being too cautious. :unsure:

The reason it says that is because there are other Toyota remotes from around the same time period that look similar (the previous model Camry, and the Corolla for instance) but had the immobiliser chip inside (and had the little metal contacts around the nose of the remote), and thus could be easy to confuse.