Toyota Hilux 2KD-FTV - will an Intercooler help power?

pawcu

Hello everyone,

I did some research already but I still cannot find the answer to my question. I am still a bit green when it comes to this topic so feel free to redirect me to another post.
I have a 2003 Toyota Hilux 270VX with a 2.5L D4D 2KD-FTV engine without an intercooler. I was planning to add a bullbar, air snorkel and some bigger tyres on my pickup and wanted to get some more power from the engine (as it will be doing more work). As it is I already feel that it is a bit laggy from standstill and was wondering if adding an intercooler would help. I might consider adding a chip as well.
Having said that, should i just get the chip (any product suggestions)? Should i get a top mount or a front mount interooler? I heard that top mount would have less turbo lag which is better for my case but considering that I will mostly be doing city driving with it, i was worried about heat soak after a while. Then again not sure if the snorkel with the front mount will cause even more lag.
Should you have any questions please ask smile.gif Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It will make some positive difference, chipping will make some more, but don't expect too much.     Your economy will prob drop a bit.  Hiluxes, petrol and particularly diesels, are not powerhouses.   They are light duty workhorses, and geared accordingly.   They do not tow great masses or windages--you need a 4WD for that.  Motor swapping seems to be a great pastime, but the chassis can only take so much strain.   All the 2L & 3L diesels can be upgradedto the 5L motor without fear, The later motors can generally  be retrofitted.    V8's are possible, but rarely worth the trouble and HAVE to be LPG to be affordable.    If you want power, buy a Nissan, they have bigger motors std, and their own unique problems.