EGR Valve Blank Plates

ngt206

Hi folks,

This is a subject that has been bandied around a bit and does hold a few grey areas, so I'm seeking some clarification before I consider making any mods.

Can someone tell me, will the fitting of a "blanking plate" cause any harm and/or warning lights when fitted to my LANDCRUISER 76 SERIES VDJ 4.5LT TURBO DIESEL V8?

I've already found a huge performance gain subsequent to fitting a 3" exhaust system. Amazing. The only reason that I'm raising this question, is that a work colleague reported huge improvements in his Hilux, after fitting a blanking plate. In so doing, he says you reduce the need to spend a day pulling the engine apart to clean out the gunk build up in the manifolds/air intake system, which of course has a detrimental effect on engine performance.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards

ngt

definitely no warning lights with a blank plate having a 10mm hole in the centre. minimal if any noticeable increase in performance although I would say that it 'might" have been noticeable at first,- after the first 20K's you wont have any idea its in there. The exhaust is definitely more stinky in cold conditions hence the reason for the EGR in the first place. I would say that there is a minor.... 0.1 / 0.2 L/100 improvement in economy but this again is pretty hard to quantify. It's simple to fit - the EGR intake tube seems cleaner after 20000K but longer term I would refer to other feedback. Does it do any damage? - so far I would say not after 30000K. I had my injectors checked at last service & all were perfect, clean & within Toyota spec so I think its a good thing but time will tell for the long term cleanliness of the engine.

Hey GC_AUS

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. After further research, sounds like it could be a bit of a hit and miss thing with regards setting off "lights", so what I thought I'd do is fit the blank plank (No hole) and should I find that it trips off the warning light, I can always take it apart again and drill the 10mm hole, given how simple it is to fit.

Maybe you don't notice the difference in performance, but I imagine over time you are reducing the amount of carbon (soot) build up, reducing air temps through the turbo, hence increasing the life of the engine.

The other thing to consider, is a "Catch Can", which basically "prevents oil from entering into the intake manifold and mixing with the carbon from the EGR, clogging up vital components and potentially causing damage" as quoted from the Co's link. If you're going to go to the trouble of taking the manifolds to pieces to clean them, probably not such a bad idea to protect your hard efforts. 

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

no problem -

yep have to agree about the soot,- I took mine out after 10000K to have a look & it was all pretty sticky ugly stuff in there. I guess it you could keep the vehicle running nice & hot non-stop then it would be burnt out but certainly the common thought it seems globally is that if you don't have to have the plate then blank it off. it could prove an issue in future if they start to perform exhaust checks at yearly rego inspections. this would be a problem of course in NSW but most states are more relaxed so will take time to become a 'thing'.

catch can - the Provent 200 one looks like a pretty neat solution - I will look at this closer as time goes by.  my cruiser has both scan gauge & e gauge so its easy to see any changes as soon as you make them - I think again with the blank plate I would suggest the vehicle runs ever so slightly cooler than before.

I have a 3.0Lux as well with a EGT gauge - this is handy for keeping an eye on running temps obviously. the Lux loves to have a nice work out with a load at around 550C & always afterwards its  cleaner, smoother  & happier overall/ typical diesel -    I will eventually fit one to the cruiser as well & another thing to look at on your travels.

all the best

G.