3.0 5le rebuilt no power

leshby

Hello.

I have a 2002 hilux ln167r 3.0 5leturbo diesel. It blew head gasket so we stripped it down for rebuild new pistons rings bearings everything new motor. Also the turbo was stuffed and rebuilt

Now back in car i have a check engine light and about half the power  ( i think limp home mode). Worked fine b4 rebuild now?

I could suggest a 5L injector pump........   Solves a lot of problems.    I presume you planed the head, and perhaps the block?   Why did the gsk fail?    You will need to use the onboard diagnostic systems and perhaps a reading tool to see what's faulty   Most EMU's have LED readouts to help you.   The board is behind the passenger 's left foot panel, I believe.   WARNING:  This could get expensive-depending what has failed or disconnected.  Do NOT remove cover from EMU, all you will do is destroy it.   If it's faulty, disconnect the battery, pull it out and take to qualified professional technician for repair.   REPEAT: Not an owner servicable part.   Leave it alone.   It's electrically fragile, and randomly touching the innards damages them.

46 minutes ago, Manxman said:

I could suggest a 5L injector pump........   Solves a lot of problems.    I presume you planed the head, and perhaps the block?   Why did the gsk fail?    You will need to use the onboard diagnostic systems and perhaps a reading tool to see what's faulty   Most EMU's have LED readouts to help you.   The board is behind the passenger 's left foot panel, I believe.   WARNING:  This could get expensive-depending what has failed or disconnected.  Do NOT remove cover from EMU, all you will do is destroy it.   If it's faulty, disconnect the battery, pull it out and take to qualified professional technician for repair.   REPEAT: Not an owner servicable part.   Leave it alone.   It's electrically fragile, and randomly touching the innards damages them.

The  head gasket failed caus of dodgy  work including cracked head. I bought a lemon. Person who owned it previously  did so much dodgy work on everything. Im fixing past issues. I have redone the motor properly including new injectors i havnt touched the pump at all.  It had the turbo installed poorly. Got a chip behind glovebox. Had to take 10 thou off the head ad pistons. I have it at a shop to put on dyno and run diognostics.  Hope all goes good. And cheap. I have already renamed it BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand. 

Sorry to hurt you.  Please, you have to be able to read and interpret the fault codes from the Chip.   Each vehicle seems different, although there appears to be a common reader tool for some.   You will NEED a good w/s manual and a soft touch, but it's now the only way forward.    I expect a bad connectors or damaged wires, but it could be worse.    if using a voltmeter, ONLY use a digital one because it's less likely to damage sensitive things.  Be particularly careful not to short any wire that goes to the emu.    Boats==standing under cold shower tearing up $100 note, or hole in water you fill in with money..      When it's sorted, it should be good.   I hope you only paid what it was worth, tho' there are many thieves about.

Found fault  was fuel heater broken wire. Have pulled the pump  and is being tested. Am ripping the head and having it check out by a different engine builder as i have bubbles in radiator. The block is fine. Bought hed from another company in mackay  and have had most of the dramas since then. Am really heartbroken about this whole expensive experience. It has also made me hate second hand cars and dodgy people who bandaid the problems. 

pump should be ok unless it's been allowed to dry out for too long.   Empathy for you and your hard times.   Sadly, price of a hilux is largely determined by demand, and sellers can always find someone desparate enough to pay their price.   Leaves big door open for thieves on the unwary or unskilled.   Fuel heater is broken wire, or burned out?    I hope you've got the correct head gask thickness and the head is marked correctly-don't re-use the head bolts-fit new ones-they're abt $50 a set AFAIR.    or they might break off!     Hiluxes are good for what they are, they're difficult to alter their functionality, and although often lacking power in the owners' mind, they do their job well.    Improvement is possible, of course, but only within original functionality.   If it's power you want, get a Nissan,   The motors are bigger, as is the body, but they aren't the same as having a Toyota.   Many of those advantages come from Toyotas' market share and carefully built reputation, notwithstanding the higher price.   It's a testament to how good they are at what they do that they sell so well.  

• 4 years later...

Hello I have a Toyota Hiace 2009 with a 5L-e engine my problem is it drives great on the flat but as soon as I go up an incline it loses power and I may have to go back to 1st gear. I have a 10:41 ratio diff, electronic pump with gear box