2016 Landcruiser 200 GXL missing essentials

Wardy3

Why have Toyota omitted the following items on their 2016 update? There are no steering wheel  controls for phone, radio etc, no trip computer, no electric fold back mirrors, no dimmer dial for instrument cluster, no fog lights just to name a few. All items were on the 2014 Prado GXL that I recently traded and I believe they were on the 2015 200 series model.

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrating and a poor money grab in my view. These items are not that expensive these days surely for the price we pay it should be standard as a safety item.

Is it an easy retro fit? Surely all the wiring is just from the steering column to the radio head unit via a jack that plugs in? This would mean purchasing a new steering wheel and having it fitted.

Please lift your game toyota.

• 1 month later...

Yar, The new model of GXL is so lack of these good but cheap items.I finally decided to go ahead cause the reliable issue but no satisfy its contents. 

• 1 year later...

The lack of Steering Wheel Controls on my new GXL Landcruiser (200 Series) has been my sole point of disappointment with this car.  Purchased to accommodate my need to tow 2.8 Tonne of Caravan, the 200 Series GXL has performed well in all aspects except one.  When driving, with or without a Van on the back, the need to take your eyes off the road and a hand off  the steering wheel to try to answer an incoming mobile phone call is simply dangerous.  Add to that the apparent lack of sensitivity of the touchscreen display (taking several jabs of your finger to answer or hang-up a call) and the small size of the "Answer" button simply adds to the safety issues.

I have written several letters to Toyota asking them for factory / genuine options to upgrade the 2016 GXL Steering Wheel to include controls for the Radio and Phone, pointing out what I believe to be safety concerns and also pointing out that I am happy to pay for any such upgrade.  Each letter receives a very polite "thank you" followed by the typical form letter pointing out that the 200 Series GXL is compliant with Australian Safety Regulations and stating that there are no genuine Toyota options or accessories that would enable me to upgrade my GXL Steering Wheel to include controls for Radio and Phone, however my "feedback will be passed on to the relevant Design Team for future improvements to the 200 Series LAndcruiser".  Not really the answer that I want or need and not addressing the very real safety concerns that I have..!!!

After searching Toyota Forums and Chat Sites (such as this) and numerous Google Searches for "200 Series Landcruiser Steering Wheel Controls for GXL" I stumbled across "Advanced ICE" WEB Site and their offering of an after market upgrade for "Face Lift 200 Series Landcruiser Steering Wheel Controls".  Their Model Number for this aftermarket Steering Wheel Control Kit for 200 Series GXL is "SWC-TY-02" and the link to the write-up on this product is as follows: http://advancedice.com.au/landcruiser-lc200-steering-wheel-controls-2732.html 

I paid $750.00 for this - fully installed by one of their recommended Distributors (Nick from Creative Installations) and I am very happy with the outcome.  I now have Steering Wheel Controls for my 200 Series GXL Landcruiser that looks like it is a genuine Toyota accessory / upgrade.  My brother has the same vehicle and the same issue with safety and lack of Steering Wheel Controls and he too has just invested the $750.00 to get this "fixed"...!!!

Toyota needs to stop writing politically correct letters of acknowledgement and address this honest feedback from 200 Series Landcruisers and produce a factory / Toyota Genuine upgrade or accessory to allow owners to address this problem with a genuine Toyota Accessory, without having to spend 6 months of research and letter writing to find an "after market solution".  Obviously for "Advanced ICE" to go to show the initiative and go to the expense of developing a solution that matches the Leather-grain texture and colour of the so-called "Toyota Landcruiser Premium Steering Wheel", there is a significant and very real need for such an upgrade / accessory...!!!

• 1 month later...