Ecu tuning ?

I can relate Trent...

My old R32 Skyline was a seriously quick machine, and you are only limited power wise in those things by how much money and courage you have. I have to look for my dyno printout but my old R32 was putting ballpark 390kw at the wheels, and yes the punch in the head the acceleration gives you is incredible.

But it didn't feel that special after a while. The lag was ridiculous, the tyres had about half the life span and the fuel map the tune needed was so rich that the whole car stunk of thick petrol, no class! A hard car to live with every day.

But people's tastes change.

Ok, for the past couple of days I've been giving miss320 a few decent squirts to and from work, safely of course. I hardly ever (I'd say almost never) drive my girl hard, I'm definitely not a tear@r$e. To be completely honest, when the engine is under a full load of acceleration, foot to the floor, it's sounds incredibly peaky and high pitched. I have a K&N SRI and a larger free flowing y-pipe so it definitely adds to the drama of the sound as a whole. My point is, the engine actually SOUNDS like it's being stretched to its capabilities on a factory tune when it's given the beans. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really keen to see the outcomes of someone getting their TRD tuned of course, but I wonder how that engine would cope with even more boost and strain. The scream from it under full boost would be scary.

Thoughts fellas???

Edited by TrentTRD320
Amended

from what I remember the power limit was set to save the gearbox so 400nm was the reliable gearbox torque limit to last past warranty but an engine broke conrods and there have been a few since so i would probably replace conrods first.

I just wish that fellah who claimed he'd been toying with electric motors on the rear wheels would cough up some solid details, the way he titillated extra power and torque was the stuff of dreams.

Very sadly scant on details (Gotta click on the quote subjects to go see the full text, this forum editor is a pain in the butt D: )

and

That's a thing that I'd almost very willingly find the money to do to my TRD.

Edited by LordBug

• 1 month later...

Ok here's the thing... 

I've been in touch with Agritune and after much consideration, I am going ahead with a full rebuild and ecu tune. I have managed to come across some spare coin to fund the project and was wondering if anyone could throw some ideas of what may be the best parts to strengthen when they open up the motor.

Will be going ahead in 3 weeks.

Budget is about $10,000.

Hoping for another 50 to 60 kilowatts.

Let the craziness begin!

Pistons and conrods. $10K is not a lot of money in the engine game, it will disappear very quickly. A larger capacity baffled sump would be beneficial as well.

How do you plan on making the extra power? You will not get that out of a tune only.

might scrape in for $10K, depends on how much labour you do yourself.  MWR has a good selection of parts, I'd do rods and pistons as a minimum: http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index.php?cPath=318&sort=2a&page=3

If you're building the motor you might aswell ditch the supercharger and go turbo instead, easy extra 100kw

Edited by CHA54

I'm going to be so very interested to see what you end up with. Like Trent said, $10k sadly doesn't go a huge distance depending on what you do these days.
Do wonder if there's enough room to do compromise with CHA54's idea, and add a turbo along with the SC. superturbo, awww yeeeee :D

On 13/02/2016 at 1:35 PM, LordBug said:

Very sadly scant on details (Gotta click on the quote subjects to go see the full text, this forum editor is a pain in the butt D: )

and

That's a thing that I'd almost very willingly find the money to do to my TRD.

that was me that tried the in wheel motors on my TRD.. a friend has them in his all electric RX7 which is a project car.. we basically bolted the motors to the rear of the TRD with bracket and another temporary bracket to the throttle with a potentiometer..it was basically just to see what it could do.. with nearly 200kg in ancillary weight of batteries and motors. it was awesome...

sorry. i dont really come on this forum much these days... 

my hobby of screwing almost 500hp out of jetski engines is taking over my life.. I still have my TRD but its still the way it is.. i toyed with the idea of getting methanol injection,intercooler, and another supercharger drive wheel made up but to be honest, when you can get to close to 2 second to 100km/h on the water, nothing ever feels fast. and anothe kinder suprise (unplanned baby) has pretty much meant game over in wasting monies on cars.. i would say the the torque provided by the brushless motors and with the limited battery power that i could carry in the boot at the time, the torque, and acceleration were brutal.. it was crude and we were not sure whether the rear wheels were driving at a even speed as it was literally a weekend job and it had to be removed. I used Vtech on the jetskis along with an editor to adjust fuelling and timing maps, the thought has crossed my mind to try it on the TRD/ but i simply have not had the time.. 

i do drop in once a year to read up on things of interest but its getting less and less.. still love my TRD and as someone said previously, it has a character that one cannot put a finger on... 

12 hours ago, retro said:

that was me that tried the in wheel motors on my TRD.. a friend has them in his all electric RX7 which is a project car.. we basically bolted the motors to the rear of the TRD with bracket and another temporary bracket to the throttle with a potentiometer..it was basically just to see what it could do.. with nearly 200kg in ancillary weight of batteries and motors. it was awesome...

sorry. i dont really come on this forum much these days... 

my hobby of screwing almost 500hp out of jetski engines is taking over my life.. I still have my TRD but its still the way it is.. i toyed with the idea of getting methanol injection,intercooler, and another supercharger drive wheel made up but to be honest, when you can get to close to 2 second to 100km/h on the water, nothing ever feels fast. and anothe kinder suprise (unplanned baby) has pretty much meant game over in wasting monies on cars.. i would say the the torque provided by the brushless motors and with the limited battery power that i could carry in the boot at the time, the torque, and acceleration were brutal.. it was crude and we were not sure whether the rear wheels were driving at a even speed as it was literally a weekend job and it had to be removed. I used Vtech on the jetskis along with an editor to adjust fuelling and timing maps, the thought has crossed my mind to try it on the TRD/ but i simply have not had the time.. 

i do drop in once a year to read up on things of interest but its getting less and less.. still love my TRD and as someone said previously, it has a character that one cannot put a finger on... 

Haha, no need to apologise mate, life is best experienced doing what interests you :)
I personally don't really get jetskis - I mean, I'd love one as a fishing or diving vehicle, but just going fast back and forth and in circles doesn't give me the slightest of interest :p
Mind you, 500 ponies is a damn fine number! Deeeelicious!

Definitely appreciate the description of what you'd done with the electric motors, pretty damn impressive to hear how overall easy it was for even just a crude setup.

All the best for the future man!

Evening...

Ok, so can someone tell me in simple terms some pro's and con's of using a piggy back for ecu tuning? Turns out the full build is not going ahead for the time being, just discovered my house needs about 20 grand worth of plumbing fixed.

so yay.

Con:

Depending on which piggy back system is used, it may only bend the existing signals instead of completely controlling them/initiating them. Potential to cause damage due to controllability. 

Pro:

Cost.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:53 PM, TrentTRD320 said:

Evening...

Ok, so can someone tell me in simple terms some pro's and con's of using a piggy back for ecu tuning? Turns out the full build is not going ahead for the time being, just discovered my house needs about 20 grand worth of plumbing fixed.

so yay.

Are you sure your not just going to save the money on a that costly TRD engine rebuild for maybe 50-60 kw and buy a new XR6 Turbo Sprint with up to 375kw (overboost) standard, mate :wink:

On March 30, 2016 at 0:47 PM, mg85 said:

Are you sure your not just going to save the money on a that costly TRD engine rebuild for maybe 50-60 kw and buy a new XR6 Turbo Sprint with up to 375kw (overboost) standard, mate :wink:

No...

And again with the suggestions that my life would be so much easier if I just binned the TRD and bought a XR6 turbo??

Not the point.

Falcons just aren't special enough for me, they lack that certain X factor and personality that the TRD has. Outright power and big numbers is one thing but I love how the TRD Aurion divides people. Some people love them and some people scratch their heads trying to figure out just what the hell Toyota was thinking when they built it.

The rarity of them is another.

oh look, another falcon.

• Like 1

I agree,,even though we don't own a TRD-Aurion our Presara get's us the "what is it" questions a lot..I love the fact I am not one of the average crowd Holden/Ford owner

KAA

10 hours ago, TrentTRD320 said:

No...

And again with the suggestions that my life would be so much easier if I just binned the TRD and bought a XR6 turbo??

Not the point.

Falcons just aren't special enough for me, they lack that certain X factor and personality that the TRD has. Outright power and big numbers is one thing but I love how the TRD Aurion divides people. Some people love them and some people scratch their heads trying to figure out just what the hell Toyota was thinking when they built it.

The rarity of them is another.

oh look, another falcon.

Just pulling your chain mate.:smile:

I admire the way you love your TRD and totally understand that and figured that from the start.

My original post was all about it is not a great car to modify due to limitations of the engine/drivetrain to get any big increase in power with reliability and my reference to the XR6 was just a suggestion if you want a strong car to get a big increase in power from relatively cheaply.

It was all about economics pure and simple

• Like 1

• 4 years later...