Fuel consumption - 2015 2.8 litre diesel

Geoff_C

Now that I have nearly 3 tank fills I can say I am consistently getting 11.5l/100km city driving. If you throw a couple of unimpeded trips on the freeway then that drops considerably as I am getting around the 6.5 to 7l/100km at 100km/h. 

One thing I did notice is the consumption doesn't seem affected by load much. It doesn't matter if there is one person in the car or seven, consumption doesn't change much

Thats the reason why diesels shine over petrol. If you did the same in the petrol you would suffer a large loss the more the load.

My fuel "ave after refuel" resets after each fill. I have only filled once the fuel light is on. What I have also noticed is the fuel "ave after refuel" has been relatively accurate.

When you consider the same petrol about town is getting up to 17l/100km the diesel is doing pretty well. Just wish it had a little more power :-(

Thanks

Doug

• 5 weeks later...

Now that the Prado is about to hit 7000km the fuel efficiency looks to be improving. Last actual consumption was 10.9L/100km from fuel receipts mostly city driving and included a round trip up north to Nelson Bay, etc with 6 passengers, (4 adult, two kids) luggage etc, and a drive on Stockton beach with six on board using low range with 20psi tyres. Range of about 1250km before fuel light.

The dash consumption is proving accurate up to +/- 0.1

Assuming roads are completely flat without hills and minimal traffic I can get the dash readout to read 8.3-8.5 after reset which seems a massive improvement to my previous best of 11 when the car was new. Seems easier to get better figures in the manual version.  But any hint of hills in my auto Prado then I get 9-10 and throw in a bit of heavy Sydney traffic and it is minimum 11. If I'm in a rush and traffic isn't so good I'll get 12. The Prado can accelerate strong off the lights too but then it is 13-14. I'm always running dual zone Aircond front and back.

I haven't seen 6.5-7 yet though. That's a great figure! Years ago I had a petrol 4 cylinder RAV4 which I recall drank close to what the diesel Prado does. It lacked pulling power for the amount it drank. I also had a petrol 4Runner a while back drank 17-19 every time, never gave trouble but I couldn't afford that kind of fuel so I traded it in.

Ok at this point, overall My wife and I are very happy with the performance of this Prado. We've found It does what it was designed for very well. It carries heavy big loads without issue and six people on freeways with adequate acceleration. We were very surprised how sure and easy the heavy Prado handled moderate deep sand and shallow water crossings with six people onboard: excellent off-road, almost effortless, confidence inspiring, and still reasonable fuel consumption and smooth power delivery. No bits of the car falling off. (We took a popular lux soft roader same patch of sand and each time a piece of the car came off) And the seats are comfortable like a lounge room. I don't find it underpowered as others report. It can accelerate hard if floored. (And our other daily driver is a sub 4.5 petrol car, maybe I'm getting old but we are choosing to use the Prado a lot more.)

So as the car's fuel efficiency is improving as the engine beds in and we try more of the car's capabilities we now understand why   Prado Diesels are a best seller. 

Hopefully the consumption improves further with age. Will keep you all posted.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, Just joined and saw your topic on fuel economy. I have just bought a 2013 VX Prado and fuel consumption goes up to 10.7 on dirt windy road but drops back to 9ish on the highway. It has shown as low as 8.6 which is very close to the ADR figure which I have always said is never achievable. Haven't done the figures myself on a full tank but will soon. I also have EXACTLY the same fitting kit for the maps as your new car.

Cheers