Replacing JDM head unit with an Australian local market one

DAY50K

Just wanted ask here for some advice.

My car is private Japanese import 2005 Toyota Estima. It came with a JDM head unit (NH3N-W57) that is fully integrated with parts of the car. This HU must have been quite high end at the time and I’m reasonably satisfied with it as is. It plays CDs, DVDs and some radio stations (up to 90MHz only). A band expander is installed but I’m not sure how effective this is as occasionally I can pick up stations that I know are beyond the 90MHz range but not all the time. It also has satellite navigation (useless here), has an AUX jack and of course this old HU is less likely to get nicked. I like the fact it has steering wheel controls for volume and mode and of course works with the original reverse camera featuring guide lines responsive to the steering wheel position. Also there is a front camera which doesn’t work right now but should be possible to make it work. The biggest drawback is that it is all in Japanese therefore I cannot use its functions to the max.

As far as I can see there are 3 things I could do.

1. Keep it as is and be happy

2. Get an aftermarket unit with a full range of FM stations and have English language menus. I’m afraid an aftermarket unit may have trouble integrating with such items as the camera(s), steering wheel controls, etc. Also the cost of a new HU would be a concern.

3. Find an original used unit from an Australian market Toyota of similar vintage or slightly newer and hopefully be able to plug-and-play this unit.

The question is what model Toyota I should be looking at for a donor unit? Has anyone here been successful in putting an original local unit in place of a JDM unit? How easy or hard it would be to swap them?

Head Unit 1.jpg

Head Unit 2.jpg

• 4 years later...

• 1 year later...