Aurion 09 Drivers Side Mirror repair/replace

Franksy

Hi, I recently cracked the Drivers mirror on 09 Aurion and since doing so I ordered a new one from eBay, the problem is that it is just the Mirror. So I have to transfer all the backed over to the new mirror, which I think I have done correctly. My concern is the fish hook type Spring. As per the photo this is my current assembly prior to install. Any help would be appreciated please.

image.jpeg

Edited by Franksy
Improve description

I just did this today on mine. As far as I can tell, the purpose of the hook is to stop the top inner corner of the glass from flexing too much as there's no real support there for it. You don't actually need the hook however, as it's sturdy enough without it, but it basically acts as a 'leg' between the glass and the mirror housing. The worst part about reinstalling the glass is connecting the two wires for the motors.....Get ready for a lot of swearing.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up trying to connect those wires behind the assembly into there corresponding connect points on the car and added 100mm of extra wire to each wire and bang in and running within half an hour. I was a bit reluctant to completely cut all the wires and thus seperate the mirror completely from the car. But once I cut the wires and took the mirror off the door and had the assembly on my work bench it was so much less mucking around. My guess is that there is probably a connecter behind the door trim but I didn't won't to accidently break any of the trim attachments and it was only 5 or 6 wires inc 2 for the indicator. Once soldiered and refitted with the almost redundant hook wire in place it worked a treat. I can't for the life of me why so many manufactures don't leave just a little more cable for ease of install. Then again I did call in to Toyota and they said they had never seen a mirror pulled apart that far before as I had removed the backing of the assembly thus exposing the gears and two motors. Anyway no luck with getting the dealers help I came home and did my wire extension and heat shrink and now my wife can now revers park again. Very interesting that all the dealers quote the part yet had no working experience with reassemble. I am a qualified electrical engineer with no Automotive repair experience and yet I got it back together, I just hoped the dealer would have given me hint or maybe told me with certainty that there is such a connector hiding behind the door trim. In the end all good and I got to scope a rather cool Blue Kluger with leather FWD which I would love to upgrade too. That new shape is stunning unfortunately no cream leather option on the middle model only the top model.