1GR-FE V6 This loud ticking noise started yesterday!!!

KRH

After owning our 2004 120 series GXL Prado V6 4ltre manual for a couple of years (now with 165k on the clock) and it performing superbly with such a smooth and quiet engine with heaps of torque this terrible clacking noise appeared yesterday on start up and wont go away.

I have serviced this engine since ownership and always fussy with maintenance.  Last oil change 3mths ago and still clear and never uses any oil (full synthetic correct spec) pulled the plugs (iridium) and always clean. Airflow sensor cleaned with electrical contact spray cleaner.  New air-filter at last service. etc etc

Owning 80's V8 Mercs with overhead cams and followers etc I am familiar with overhead cams and followers and buckets (shims) that direct drive the valve from the cam lobe.

However this loud clacking noise appeared all of a sudden (like a valve stuck open that is not closing properly) 

Here is a youtube video i just uploaded so you can hear yourself from what was up until yesterday a previous quiet running engine when the bonnet was open.

Any input and help most appreciated.

Cheers Kim

Edited by KRH

• 4 months later...

Just an update on what transpired with my engine.

My wife had drives it as daily driver to her work.  It had a coolant leak and lost its coolant over a period of time. She had kept driving it without taking any notice of of the temp gauge and cooked the heads and overheated the pistons but luckily they did not seize on the bore.  It required and full rebuild of the bottom end (and replacement heads) plus new radiator and whilst all stripped various other pulley's bearings/sealsbelts/hoses etc etc replaced. 

Whilst apart it had the main tank dropped and the fuel pump replaced and filters.  Total cost $10k which includes workshop labour (not a dealer but an performance engine shop who happens to have done his trade with Toyota before starting up his own workshop business working on pretty serious engines (track/drag/burnout etc).

I did check with Toyota on cost of a new long motor (block & heads only assembled) and it was something like $13.5k supply only with ancillary parts and labour to go on top of that.

I wish the cars came with more than one temp sensor and an buzzer alarm if the temp spikes up to dangerous levels as in our case it would have saved the engine if the car has been stopped and the engine shut down in time to not do any damage.