Camry identification

Scarlet Skippy

Hi everyone. I've just purchased a used Camry privately, and am wondering how to decipher the model code on the build plate.

Does anyone have any ideas on working out what the model code refers to (apart from asking Toyota)? is there any government department that records these details? Perhaps a mechanic or smash repairer would be the best avenue? I would appreciate any answers. Thanks.

MCV20R is your model code(provided you have entered this correctly into the forum). What do you want to know about it?

The model code alone tells me that it a 4th Generation Camry with V6 engine.

7 hours ago, Scarlet Skippy said:

The actual code on the build plate is is MCV20R-DEPDKQ. Can you tell me what the DEPDKQ refers to?

I don't have all of the exact codes, but these are the ones I know. The position dictates the type and the letter dictates the code.

D - Model Name -

E - Body Style - 4 Door Sedan

P - Transmission - 4 Speed Auto, Floor Shift

D - Trim Grade -

K - Engine -

Q - Market - Australia

Thanks Trentmeyer23.

I see the various codes are listed on the Road Vehicle Descriptor Sheets which State governments use to identify a car for registration, however they do not clearly state what the car is. I don't understand why these codes are not easily decipherable, except perhaps to stop people doing the wrong thing with the car.

Anyway, I'll soldier on. I've got a few more avenues to pursue yet. If I do get an answer, I'll post it on here.

On 3/27/2016 at 4:49 PM, Scarlet Skippy said:

Thanks Trentmeyer23.

I see the various codes are listed on the Road Vehicle Descriptor Sheets which State governments use to identify a car for registration, however they do not clearly state what the car is. I don't understand why these codes are not easily decipherable, except perhaps to stop people doing the wrong thing with the car.

Anyway, I'll soldier on. I've got a few more avenues to pursue yet. If I do get an answer, I'll post it on here.

Why should they be easily decipherable by the end user?  As an owner you already know the year, model, engine and trim options from the name of the car which is enough to buy parts, the VIN and model codes are for dealers and government systems where computer systems work are a lot more efficient than word-based descriptions.

It's like looking at a product code on a blender and wanting to know what all the numbers mean - you're better off just ringing Breville and saying you have a Mixmaster 2000 and let them go hunting through the system for the correct information.

41 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Why should they be easily decipherable by the end user?  As an owner you already know the year, model, engine and trim options from the name of the car which is enough to buy parts, the VIN and model codes are for dealers and government systems where computer systems work are a lot more efficient than word-based descriptions.

It's like looking at a product code on a blender and wanting to know what all the numbers mean - you're better off just ringing Breville and saying you have a Mixmaster 2000 and let them go hunting through the system for the correct information.

That would be fine, if I could feel confident in what Toyota (or Breville) tell me. I do not mind if the information is only available to dealers, mechanics & smash repairers, to avoid people doing the wrong thing. But it would be good to be told that.

I note that you & trentmeyer23 have STAFF attached to your profiles. Is that Toyota staff, or Toyota Owners Club staff, or both?

That's what the VIN number is for. If you need parts, give that to the person at the Toyota parts department.

You could also use the month and year along with the chassis code(MCV20)like everyone else does. This is especially helpful at Repco, etc.

I am in the industry and noone uses the extended model code.