Engine rattle (not on startup)

Hi all,

My 2008 ATX is just about to hit the 100k mark and I thought I should investigate an engine issue I have had for the last year or so.

I have noticed under certain driving conditions, I hear a rattling noise from the engine. It sounds similar to the VVTi-rattle on startup, but not as loud, and it doesn't happen on startup.

Normally, I will hear this noise if I am going up a multistory carpark. At higher speeds, say if I'm going down the highway, it will happen if I am going at a constant speed, then ease off on the accelerator, then use just enough throttle to slowly accelerate.

Has anyone else noticed this before? It's been doing it for years now, and every time I've mentioned it to my mechanic they've not found anything. I don't really want to take it to a dealership (after my painful experience with them trying to get a replacement for a melting dash).

Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

33 minutes ago, Peter Williams said:

Is it possible for the VVti to have issues and make noise at other times?

Not that I know of.

It sounds like it could possibly be timing chain related, potentially the tensioner.

Maybe a hydraulic lifter issue.

There are places to have a look at least.