Thoughts relating to Hyundai Genesis

Good evening Aurion family.

My next door neighbor is currently looking out for a new large car to replace his aging VT HSV Senator and he just loves my TRD Aurion. He's been for a couple of rides in it and though he likes it a lot, he finds the ride way too hard and the engine a little too frenetic. He's in his early 50's and would like something classy and large. He can stretch the budget out to around the $60,000 mark so I suggested the brand new Aurion Presara. We test drove one today and it's a beautiful car, it feels almost as fast as the TRD! But, there was another vehicle there that caught both our eyes that we just had to have a closer look at.

The Hyundai Genesis.

This thing is bloody incredible! It looks amazing in the metal and the interiors fit and finish is just leaps and bounds ahead of the Aurion. (as hard as that is to say!) It's not as fast as the Aurion but it has a lovely urge to the way it accelerates and feels very different due to being pushed by rear wheel drive rather than being pulled by front wheel drive. It's certainly quick.

It feels bullet proof. Hyundai have done an incredible job with this vehicle.

Funny thing is, the Genesis we test drove was just the base model, and was being sold as a dealer demo with 6,000 km on the clock for $53,000. Pretty much exactly the same amount as the new Presara we tested.

Now my neighbour's feeling conflicted. And I can see why!

Just thought I'd get some thoughts from you good people as to what my friend should do with his hard earned dollars.

As difficult as it is to say, I'd go the Genesis. It's a beautiful car.

G;Day Trent..I agree quite a decision!! as both the Presara and the Genesis are awesome cars..I also test drove one before buying our Presara..Both were super quiet and smooth and exterior and interior features that keep any tech head playing..in the end we went with the Presara because of it's local Production, looks, rareity and renounded reliability..

I am sure your mate would agree that in the final decision it should be what suits his taste, desires, and how he plans to use the car..not an easy one with the 2 he likes..Hyundai sure has lifted its game over the last number of years with fit and finish and reliability..we owned a sonata for a few years and it even then was a sweet ride

Good Luck to your friend, 

Maybe a coin toss LOL

KAA

9 hours ago, TrentTRD320 said:

I'm trying to post a photo of my TRD next to the Genesis at the car yard but the site won't let me upload again.

It's telling me I can only upload a total of 0MB? 

Strange...

That is because you have used all of your allocated storage space via the forum upload feature, which is not alot.

You will need to use a photo storage website like Photobucket or similar and then post the link here.

Well, I'd like to announce that my neighbour has gone for the Genesis. 

And I have to admit I'm very jealous. I'd love to hear from any badge snobs out there try to tell me it's a $h!t box only due to the fact that it's a Hyundai.

Yay for me and getting to my 100th post!!

Special thanks goes to trentmeyer23. You're a good boss. 👍

22 minutes ago, TrentTRD320 said:

Well, I'd like to announce that my neighbour has gone for the Genesis. 

And I have to admit I'm very jealous. I'd love to hear from any badge snobs out there try to tell me it's a $h!t box only due to the fact that it's a Hyundai.

Yay for me and getting to my 100th post!!

Special thanks goes to trentmeyer23. You're a good boss. 👍

Huh? What did I do?

I am a bit of a badge snob(currently own 3 Toyotas, had 5 in total); but, I would love to drive the V8 Genesis Coupe. Not sure if they have delivered any in Australia yet, or if they plan to.

Hyundai have stepped up their game since the early days and make quality cars now. I can see some of the lesser companies doing the same thing in the future.

Well as long as he is enjoying the drive with his new Hyundai then all's well..In the end it comes down to personal taste, and of cause the magic dollars from them elusive money trees..and congrats on the 100 post well done!

I agree that not only has Hyundai has vastly improved their products..which in a way pushes all to improve

KAA

10 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I would love to drive the V8 Genesis Coupe. Not sure if they have delivered any in Australia yet, or if they plan to..

The coupe has never been offered with the V8 anywhere, unless you throw a bucket full of cash at Rhys Millen.

A pity really

3 hours ago, Hiro said:

The coupe has never been offered with the V8 anywhere, unless you throw a bucket full of cash at Rhys Millen.

A pity really

Must have been a dream I was having...

My father's company car is a Genesis and he constantly raves about how smooth, quiet and refined the vehicle is. Hyundai have really stepped up their game, both in technology and design with the new models. Other manufacturers have some serious competition now! 

Yes A nice face on the Genesis..Thanks for the Pic's Trent..I see he went with Personal plates too..Glad he is happy

KAA

Hey Trent,

Keep us informed how the Genesis of your neighbour performs ay.

In the march RACV they did a test on it against the Holden SV6 and the Lexus ES300h and it come out on top over the Lexus which surprised me although the Genesis scored a 1 for fuel consumption where the Lexus scored a 9, but build finish score was equal.

I am a bit sus on car reports as they are short term, owners review's have more cred for me. For those of us old enough to remember, the Leyland P76 won WHEELS car of the year once and it turned out to be one of worst cars ever made. WHEELS car of the year was considered the pinnacle of awards back then.

Andrew my partner has Kia Optima 2012 2.4l for a company car. I see the new GT has a 2.0l turbo engine smaller engine with 32kw over the old but being turbo you may loose some drivability??

I certainly wouldn't swap our 2011 Aurion for her Kia it is pretty gutless on the freeway any small hill will have the 6 speed auto changing up and down Ok around town though. It has heaps of extras on it but these are not as good as the Toyota and certainly not a smooth and refined as the Aurion to drive.

Its noisy

Leather seats are very ordinary and not comfortable

Reversing camera on the rear-view mirror is poor

Uses more fuel than the Aurion

I would take one for a spin on the freeway before decide

Has an awesome big boot though

Maybe Hyundai has lifted the Kia quality let us know ay.

On 16/04/2016 at 5:44 PM, TrentTRD320 said:

The Aurion's not a small car but the Genesis makes it look tiny.

image.jpeg

Wow, that car is MASSIVE! I thought our Aurions were pretty big but this thing...Hyundai have come a long way. I saw this car in the flesh when it was on display at Westfield -- I was very impressed with the construction quality and the materials used. I had no idea at the time that it was this much bigger than an Aurion.

Edited by GDude

While Hyundai Genesis is V6 with about what 27kw and 61Nm more than Aurions and is a rear wheel drive, i wonder whats its fuel usage is like around town before taking it on a good freeway/highway run. 

And yes, like phandrew I have also been eyeing KIA Optima GT with 180kw turbocharged engine but I want to see how reliable their turbo is first.

My next car will not be a Toyota. I have been tossing up between KIA/Hyundai or Mitsubishi as they offer good long warranty and capped servicing.

You are correct GDude, the Genesis is a HUGE vehicle. As you can see by the photo, I made sure my car and my neighbours Genesis was parked exactly side by side and it's bigger in every dimension. It's truly impressive. It's awesome.

The KIA Optima platinum is a lovely car with an impressive amount of power out of that 2.0 litre turbo but, I don't know, that Genesis is world class. However, keep in mind it's nowhere near as fast "feeling" as the TRD Aurion, as that Supercharger makes it feel like it's going to rip the car in half but it's still pretty quick considering it's shifting it's enormous size with no forced induction whatsoever.

Very impressive.

I'll get some more photos up shortly.

The Genesis looks amazing - has lots of road presence. I love the front end of the car, the only design quirk for me is that the rear looks too similar to an Elantra and depreciation is probably going to be not so go good. The Ultimate pack is $83k! 

Cheers for fixing the picture Trent, good to know that the Tinypic app works well.

I agree that the rear end has a whiff of Elantra about it, but I also see some AUDI A7 in the side profile and some BMW 7 series in the front end, especially the headlights. Even the interior looks like a mixture of BMW and AUDI.

All up it's a bold yet very restrained design for a large sedan and it looks fantastic. They could've tried to be quirkily original and ended up with a swoopy mess like pretty much every new Lexus but they haven't.

Deprecration for me usually means that I'm within financial reach of something I want, but can't quite afford, sooner.

(By the way, to Lexus owners... the design of Lexus cars a few years back was beautiful and I hold the brand in very high regard. It's the new "spindle grille" and slash/chop jagged edge character lines of the new vehicles that is completely over the top and will not age well.)

No offence.

Edited by TrentTRD320
Amended.

I see the latest US dependability survey of owners and problems per 100 cars is out, top of the heap was Lexus 95, Porsche 97 then Toyota 113 not a bad result.

With Kia & Hyundai coming in a bit below the industry average with 153 and 158 respectably.

• Like 1