Celica st184 turbo conversion

Boegey

Soo being female im a bit clueless to most car mods.

I have a toyota celica 1992 st184 fwd. I am looking at changing it to turbo. Would it be easier to add a turbo kit to it if its even possible or putting a turbo motor in. I was going more on putting a turbo motor in it. Is there any turbo motors that slot straight in to them? Also would i have to change the gearbox or anything else doing the conversation? Any help would be much appreciated. Cost isnt a big factor just looking for an easy way to do it :) 

The only easy way to do it is to sell it and buy an ST185 GT4.

That being said:

The factory 5S-FE is not a very good base for a turbo unless you upgrade the flimsy pistons and con rods. Even then the cylinder head does not flow very well. On stock internals it can handle somewhere in the range of 7-12psi with a CT26 turbo and turbo manifold from a GT4. This will require larger injectors and an ECU upgrade. Reliability is the biggest concern with this route.

The 3S-GTE swap from a GT4 is a more reliable swap if done correctly; but, it will require a gearbox from a V6 Camry and an ECU/wiring to suit.

There are plenty of other parts required for both swaps; however, I have kept it to a minimum for the sake of brevity.

Selling my car isnt a choice as its already had 15g spent on it and im not willing to part with it :) 

So the 3sgte motor will fit straight in to my car? Or is it more comlex than that? Also what else needs doing to the car/engine if this is the case besides the different gearbox? 

It should fit in with minimal modifications, if any to the engine mounts. You will need to modify wiring, exhaust. If you want to run a front mount intercooler, you will need to factor that in as well. 

I think your best option, based on your experience, is to have a workshop complete the swap. You could be looking in the range of $7,000-$10,000 depending on where you you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I have mechanics lined up to do it already. Just trying to work out the ins and outs of it all first and figure out pricing on parts I'll need as i can source myself cheaper than a mechanic. Im basically wanting more power to it and would prefer turbo rather than a non turbo faster motor. Just trying to work out the easiest way to do it without having to change everything on the car :)