Issue with 2006 Camry Grande

marty_s13

Hi everyone. I have a strange issue with my 2006 Camry Grande. Basically what happens is say if you are cruising at 60kph and slowly take your foot off the accelerator the revs dip from about 1700rpm to 1100 and you get a small drag feeling and it bounces back up to 1700rpm again. 

It has only 88000kph and was owned by my dad before me. Always serviced on time and in good condition. It recently had water pump and alternator changed however it was doing this before that. Oil was also changed quite recently by me and still looks good as well as air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor. I have also changed transmission fluid but replaced with Toyota WS and appears to be at the correct hot level. 

I have had a friend look at it who is a Toyota mechanic and he agrees that it is odd but he is stumped. He also looked over the car and everything appeared to look fine. 

I have an android headunit and OBD connector with torque app and it is not showing any ECU errors. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Its not a major problem I just find it very strange and I don't believe its normal. 

I've also noticed it only does this when the engine is up to temp. When its warming up, its fine. I also have a problem that may he related but every time I put 98 octane fuel in the car is harder to start and splutters. Once it has even stalled after starting. 91 I have had a problem with. 

Thanks!

Have you ever cleaned the idle air control valve and the air intake body. It was something that I overlooked on my 1998 Camry. Car was idling fine at traffic lights then at the next it would not idle without accelerator. I now do this service about every 5000KM

Suggest a Google search with the search terms " toyota camry idle air control valve" for the Youtube videos etc on how to do this.

May also be worthwhile to check the spark plugs (clean and re-gap) and inspect the ignition leads.

14 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Have you ever cleaned the idle air control valve and the air intake body. It was something that I overlooked on my 1998 Camry. Car was idling fine at traffic lights then at the next it would not idle without accelerator. I now do this service about every 5000KM

Suggest a Google search with the search terms " toyota camry idle air control valve" for the Youtube videos etc on how to do this.

May also be worthwhile to check the spark plugs (clean and re-gap) and inspect the ignition leads.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the 2AZ-FE has a IAC valve but I was thinking about cleaning throttle body this weekend and see if it helps. I doubt it has ever been done. I'll also check plugs. What about injector cleaner? Is the stuff you out in your fuel tank a load of crap? I was thinking of grabbing a bottle of fuel doctor from super cheap, I've heard it actually works. 

Suggest you look at the Youtube videos. I am expecting that you will see the hole for spraying cleaner into when cleaning the throttle body.

I have also read the reviews about Fuel Doctor and given my Aurion the initial shock treatment etc. I bought the large bottle costing about $37 at SuperCheap. Again, it was more of a preventative maintenance measure.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Suggest you look at the Youtube videos. I am expecting that you will see the hole for spraying cleaner into when cleaning the throttle body.

I have also read the reviews about Fuel Doctor and given my Aurion the initial shock treatment etc. I bought the large bottle costing about $37 at SuperCheap. Again, it was more of a preventative maintenance measure.

Thanks I'll check it out!

I'm wondering now if its something strange with the transmission? It seems to only really do it in 4th and 5th gear at either 60 or 80kph. At slow speeds but around the same rpm range it doesn't seem to do the weird dipping and surging. 

Suggest do the throttle body clean and the Fuel Doctor first then reassess. Re-check the transmission fluid level [more as an elimination step].

If the problem still persists, go to your Tyoyta Dealer and ask them to hook it up to their diagnostic machine. A guaranteed way to find out if there are any faulty sensors that need to be cleaned or replaced.