New tarago owner

Hi,

i just purchased a 2006 tarago van for conversion.

initially i want to completely remove the back seats and stick in a matress for camping. I would like to sell/get rid of the seats as i dont have room to store them.

once i do this will i have problems with registration in january? 

I did a search on the rms website, but the points they referred to, my modifications didnt seem to be a problem, but before i ditch the seats i thought id seek advice.

i am in nsw on the central coast near gosford.

image.png

image.png

Hi Kimberly, Welcome

Having had a Tarago and other van/people movers..removing the rear seats is not an issue, I believe it is only if your altering the type of seats or adding seating where there were never any seats etc that affect rego and require inspection.

So if your just removing them I see no issue at all

Hope I am right if not I am sure others will rectify the information for you..

Good to have another "Coasty" on=board 

KAA

I wrote to a few camper conversion places and also an Vehicle Inspector reply and if I want to NOT keep the seats, and NOT put them back in to pass next years registration then I do need a new certification from a People Mover to a Transit Van type.

It wasn't too hard to accomplish and I had to do it in a hurry.

So I removed the seats, some nice guy where I have my storage lent me his Rattle Gun and also gave me a hand (Those seats are heavy!)

I removed the carpets and underfloor padding, silicone sealed the bold holes so I didn't asphyxiate from the monoxide, also covered them with heavy duty tape, and anything else that added to the weight.  Then used a weigh bridge and had the vehicle weight, got a RTA ticket $25 and presented to the inspector who took photos, did various check, paid him $450.00 and I will receive paperwork which I just need to present to RTA/RMA and then it's a van which is great as being classified as a people moved I was unable to have REALLY dark tint on the passenger windows, but now I can.  I just need to leave the front driver and passenger, front windscreen and back windscreen with the legal lesser tint, but will be good to have the sides black as I will be sleeping and using computers in the van.

I have been taking photos along the way and I will create a bog showing what needs to be done, so if anyone else wants to do what I have done, then it'll hopefully make it a bit easier.

Great News then Kimberly..Glad it wasn't a major pain in the butt..Yes please post when you have Pic's..I am sure anyone else in the same position would like the helpful info..

Thanks again

KAA

• 3 years later...
On 5/27/2016 at 6:28 PM, Aussie Geek Girl said:

I wrote to a few camper conversion places and also an Vehicle Inspector reply and if I want to NOT keep the seats, and NOT put them back in to pass next years registration then I do need a new certification from a People Mover to a Transit Van type.

It wasn't too hard to accomplish and I had to do it in a hurry.

So I removed the seats, some nice guy where I have my storage lent me his Rattle Gun and also gave me a hand (Those seats are heavy!)

I removed the carpets and underfloor padding, silicone sealed the bold holes so I didn't asphyxiate from the monoxide, also covered them with heavy duty tape, and anything else that added to the weight.  Then used a weigh bridge and had the vehicle weight, got a RTA ticket $25 and presented to the inspector who took photos, did various check, paid him $450.00 and I will receive paperwork which I just need to present to RTA/RMA and then it's a van which is great as being classified as a people moved I was unable to have REALLY dark tint on the passenger windows, but now I can.  I just need to leave the front driver and passenger, front windscreen and back windscreen with the legal lesser tint, but will be good to have the sides black as I will be sleeping and using computers in the van.

I have been taking photos along the way and I will create a bog showing what needs to be done, so if anyone else wants to do what I have done, then it'll hopefully make it a bit easier.

I intend to do this with my 2013 Commuter bus.
As I will not be re-installing the seats, I don't anticipate any problems.