New Tyres for Sportivo.

MIKHALE

Hi Guys, looking at getting a set of new tyres for the Sportivo soon. Have had a fantastic run out of the standard Michelin MX-V8 Energy tyres, 71,000 km and still 3-4mm left ! Been thinking  Continental ContiMaxContact MC5 , Pirelli P7 or Michelin Primacy LC in the standard 215/55/R17" size. Any thoughts on these brands in regard to wear and grip compared to my long lasting Michies? 

I went with the Michelin Primacy 3 ST.

I'm very happy with them. They're quieter than the Energy ones. Can recommend.

I find, that I use a bit more pressure in these now than I used to in the Energy ones to get the same ride.

Look here for some simple comparison:

http://www.tyreplus.com.au/products/car-tyres/?q=All

Cheers

Thanks for the update..looks like a tyre to note down for when mine are due..so far my Michey's are doing awesome work 

How much did the set end up costing out of interest?

KAA

All I can say is if you've got a set that have taken you 70kkm+, you'd be mad to change to a different make.

All I can say is that I have had a very bitter experience with Maxxis, didn't even get 20kkm out of the bloody things :(

20 hours ago, KAA said:

Thanks for the update..looks like a tyre to note down for when mine are due..so far my Michey's are doing awesome work 

How much did the set end up costing out of interest?

KAA

I honestly can't remember. I bought mine early 2014. There was a special on at the time ($100.00 cash back).

The 3 STs are wearing very well, similar to the Energy ones, but are much quieter and lack the squeal on U-Turns and roundabouts, which I got from the Energy ones. (Wheel alignment always ok).

I really like the 3 STs.

These 4 for 3 or $100.00 cash back specials turn up frequently. Just shop around.

Cheers

Thanks so much for your feed back guys.

Yes LordBug, I'm very impressed with the way my Michelins have worn and the Primacy 3 STs that Auri 7 has fitted sound like a good replacement for them. I've noticed my local BobJane store often has 4 for 3 offers going, so will keep an eye out for that pattern Michelin. Thanks again for your replies, it's always good to know what product suits our particular cars and your opinions are always helpful. 

Edited by MIKHALE

• 5 months later...

Just a short update on my Sportivo tyre Situation.

Michelin has been offering $100 cash back on 4 x 17" tyres at some dealers, so as the std MX-V8s have nearly reached 76,000km and STILL have between 3-4mm left, now seemed like the right time to buy a set!

Primacy 3Ts or even LC were my first choice due to the great feedback from forum users. Then I noticed the new Pilot Sport 4 was available in the Sportivos std  215/55ZR17-98W size priced right in between the two Primacy tyres. So that's what I decided upon, the Pilot Sport 4.

First impressions are quite amazing!

The slightly dead steering now feels alive with good feel and feedback,(similar to an Accord Euro I have driven). Just driving normally at highway speeds the turn in is way better like the steering ratio has now been changed for a quicker one,(all very nice). Tyre pressures are set the same as my previous MX-V8s and noise levels seem to be about the same as well,(I was expecting a slightly noisier ride). I was hoping for a 'bit' of an improvement over my old tyres but not to this level!

Wet weather grip and tyre wear will need to be checked before an all over view is available. I'm not expecting 76k out of them but European tests show 45-55k no worries! Have noticed mine are made in Thailand not Germany like the tested tyres so hope that doesn't go against them. 

Another unexpected plus is that the tyre is definitely a wider fitting than the old MX-V8 in the same size. The old tyres exposed the rims to the curbs, but the Pilot Sport 4 comes out wider protecting the rim to a certain extent without there being a ridge type rim-protector moulded into the sidewalls like some Continentals and Pirellis have.

Very pleased so far but early days yet ....Time will Tell.  

PS4 A.jpg

PS4 B.jpg

PS4 C.jpg

• Like 2

On 02/12/2016 at 7:16 PM, MIKHALE said:

So that's what I decided upon, the Pilot Sport 4.

Hey, thanks for your comprehensive report and the pictures !  You can't go wrong with those tyres.

Always happy to hear more, once you've done some more kms.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted to my 2010 SX Sportivo.

I have now just clocked 2000km on the PS4 tyres and after carefully measuring and remeasuring the tread depth,(with the depth probe on my Vernier caliper ), I can report they have all worn down between 0 - 0.5mm, except the rear left that seems not to have worn at all?! 

I checked them when fitted and the tread depth new was 7mm, now it is between 6.5 - 7mm.

Wet Weather handling and control seems almost as good as when driving in the dry!  Where as you normally back off in the wet, the temptation now is to press on like you are driving on a dry road!

Road Noise is the same as my previous MX-V8 Michelins wet or dry, except for some types of badly broken bitumen which causes a harsh chattering that was never present with the old tyres. This was a little annoying at first but now I just expect it and would say it's the PS4s only downside with the Sportivo.

Isn't it disappointing that when you first get your new tyres you marvel at the sharp handling ,totally appreciate the extra grip and feel, but after several weeks you just take it all for granted.

After 2000km on PS4s I really couldn't be happier and my comments made in my last Post as 'First impressions' still stand but, yes, I now just take them for granted!  

P1030196a.jpg

Edited by MIKHALE
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've now done just over 5000km on my Pilot Sport 4 Michelins and have carefully measured the tread depth again.

Front Left is 5.5mm all across evenly.

Front Right is 5.5 - 6mm.

Rear Left is 6mm even.

Rear Right is 6 - 6.5mm.

This is after fitment at 75930km until today at 80988km, travelling Tassie roads,

( yes they are sealed), and driven 'normally' with the odd Targa Tassie fun route thrown in!

Maybe a little faster wear than expected but will probably slow down, (the wear not me), as the rubber hardens up.

Going by the tyre wall DOT, all 4 tyres were produced in the 41st week of 2016 in Thailand Michelin factory.

Still very happy with the grip and overall performance of these tyres, I will be rotating them soon to try and even up the wear. 

P1030212a.thumb.jpg.5e69ec3977e44609dd926c34f6bfd43d.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Another quick update on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted to my 2010 SX Sportivo.

I have now done almost 10,000km and have just checked and rotated my tyres.

As per usual I've carefully measured the tread depth and it is as follows:

Front Left is 4.5mm

Front Right is 5mm

Rear Left is 6mm

Rear Right is 6mm

These PS4s were fitted at 75930km and checked and rotated today at 85794km.

Wear is even across the tyre and they still grip very well, especially in the wet!

I'm very happy with these Michelins, the wear rate seems to have slowed, (and even stopped on the rears!!!)

Have noticed a little more harshness creeping in on some of our dodgy roads that I frequently travel,( or maybe the Local Council is getting slack with repairs!!! )

I would highly recommend them as a great replacement tyre in the std  215/55ZR17-98W size.

P1030300w.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

How are the tyres doing now 1 year later?

About to buy the PS4 225/45 R18’s for my 2015 Presara. Replacing the Bridgestone Turanza.

thanks.

Edited by Pittsy

I've now done approx.17,000km on my Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres and have just measured the tread depth:

Front Left is 4.5mm - ( was 6mm 7000km ago)

Front Right is 4.5mm - ( was 6mm 7000km ago)

Rear Left is 4mm  -  ( was 4.5mm 7000km ago)

Rear Right is 4.5mm - ( was 5mm 7000km ago)

These tyres had a tread depth of 7mm when new so they will not be lasting like the original  Michelin MX-V8 Energy tyres which still had 3-4mm left at 76,000km!

- Then again the grip from the PS4 tyres is still excellent with only a little road noise depending upon the surface involved.

They are a great choice where performance is required from the std 215 size tyre, but of course the trade-off is always going to be tyre life.

P1030489b.thumb.jpg.dc98da32ba4574ddf1169fe7f4e02b7a.jpg

Edited by MIKHALE