2016 Diesel Hilux modification options

mattson

Hi All,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I recently purchased a 2016 SR5 Dual cab diesel Hilux (auto) for my business, while I'm happy with it's out of the factory performance, I'm wondering if there is any extra performance that can be tickled out of the 2.8l engine?

I had a quick Google, and can only find one company that offers a power chip option, plug and play style... I was thinking something a bit more potent, like filter/exhaust/cooler/chip/custom tune...

Anyone have any experience in that space, if so - I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Ive installed a  Diesel Performance chip to my 2016 Hilux and have been very happy with the performance. It now keeps up with my wife's 2013 Camry, so not too bad for 2 tonnes of steel, but a definite decent improvement in power has been noticed using the chip. The website 'claims' power going from 130KW to 172KW and Torque going from 450Nm to 536Nm with an improvement of 1 litre per 100kms. Im not sure how true these claims are, but what I do know is im very happy with the increased power gains I have gained from the chip.

Being a new car with warranty then you want to be able to bring the engine back to stock for servicing and the DP chip is easy to fit and remove. The  model chip I got is a dual channel controller and connects to both the fuel rail and the turbo and is not too bad value compared to others with a price of $750, or you can get the single channel model for $550

Here is the link to the Hilux 2.8 D4D Auto

http://dieselchiptuning.com.au/products/?ddl0=0000000007&ddl1=0000001782&ddl2=0000002908&ddl3=0000006994

With a 30 day money back guarantee to try, then it may be worth a go to see if it gives you the gains you want, because you can easily install in 10 minutes and then remove if you don't like it. what do you have to loose

There are 7 different maps you can choose from in the controller, I found map 6 gave me a good increase in power and seems to not use any more fuel than before, the computer says that the fuel usage has actually gone down by 1 litre per 100kms but im not sure if it actually reporting correctly because I don't need as much accelerator as I did before.

But beware there are many cheap chips that don't actually remap but instead just use generic values  and resistors and are not specifically tuned for your engine model, definitely keep away from these.

But all in all im happy with my purchase and think it was worth the money. The next thing will be an exhaust system to help it breath better :)