Camry 36 Series Wheel Upgrade

Cam93

So what started out as a bit of a joke, my mate had some XR6 wheels he was trying to sell. Figured that since they were the same stud pattern as my Camry, we'd chuck them on to see how stupid it looks.

Well they fit and didnt hit anything at full lock and they dont look half bad, they even look kind of factory, so we put all four on and took it for a drive. An extra 30mm wider on each wheel (205 to 235) and some quality rubber, I could tell the difference immediately. No longer chirping at 3kRPM (used to have Supercat tires, they were awful) and sticking in corners when I would have definitely understeered before.

Needless to say, for $200 I just bought myself a set of 17" XR6 wheels. Cheap upgrade that'll give a noticeable difference to the 36 series Camrys.

(Side note, no longer looks like a boat either which is a big bonus)

XR6 Wheels.jpg

Edited by Cam93
  • Like 1

i dont have a clue, ive never changed them, the XR6 wheels just bolt straight on, what do the spigot bushes do?

Right, so im guessing this is something that usually needs changing when you put different wheels on it if the centre hole is bigger?

YOU MUST INSTALL THESE HUB RINGS OR YOUR STUDS MAY BREAK AWAY DUE TO STRESS ON THEM. You stand a good chance of a wheel flying off when you are mobile, endangering yourself & the rest of us near you at the time. Studs hold the wheel on,  the centre of the wheel takes the weight on the spigot.

Centre spigot size
 the wheel is centred using the spigot before the wheel nuts or lug bolts are tightened. In this design the spigot normally sticks out from the axle of the car which is why it can be used to centre the wheel beforehand. With aftermarket alloy wheels, or when swapping wheels the spigot hole is often larger than the spigot on the car which is why you need a spigot-locating or hub-centric ring. This is a plastic or metal doughnut that matches the outside diameter of the wheel's spigot hole and the inside diameter of the axle spigot, and is used to ensure a snug fit between the two whilst centring the wheel. The spigot takes the weight load of the vehicle not the studs.

Edited by TIDYWAZZA
  • Like 1

dude wtf, take it easy, theres no need to get so aggressive. Im trying to ask for help and you go and condescend me like a child that knows nothing, please dont comment on my posts if youre going to talk to me like that

The following url explains why you got such a "passionate"reply.

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?13012-Broken-wheel-studs-why-spigot-hub-rings-are-so-important-with-aftermarket-wheels

Before this thread I never knew about spigot hub rings and their importance. Guess I have just been lucky all these years not having to need them.

Tonight, I checked my Honda Prelude which is fitted with 16"after market wheels before being handed over this weekend for driving lessons. Perfect fit otherwise, the standard wheels would have been making a re-appearance.

Cameron, I apologise to you, there was no malice intent in my response. I just felt the need to highlight the dangers of such a wheel swap. Your new rims look great and do enhance the look of your Camry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/07/2016 at 10:02 AM, TIDYWAZZA said:

Looks good, did you use alloy or nylon spigot bushes in the hub mounts ? 

I ended up getting alloy hub centric bearings. Did it properly, got the wheels balanced and worn bushes replaced all at once. 

Glad it seems sorted for you Cameron..as with anything it is always great to have the job done right the first time

KAA

• 1 month later...