1999 Toyota Celica Purchase Q's for a Newbie

ChipToyZA

Hi all,

I am here so any help will be appreciated :)

I have recently moved to the land of OZ and will be looking at purchasing a vehicle over the coming weeks..

I have stumbled across a '99 Celica (t200 if i'm not mistaken - not too clued up on the finer details) and would like some feedback, i believe that Forums are always the way to go.

I'd like to know what exactly i should look out for, be weary of, and simply just the common problems that this vehicle is known for..

I will be using it to commute to and from work everyday +- 20kms.

The vehicle has just over 135 000kms on the clock.

Any feedback will be most helpful :)

TIa

These URLs may be of interest

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/toyota-celica-1994-1999/m/t200-1994-1999.html

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=guide&make=Toyota&model=Celica&gen=889&pno=0

Interesting that this Celica has the same engine as my 1998 Camry. Check the service history and that the timing belt has definitely been replaced and has the water pump been replaced. I had a water pump fail at about 150,000 km and this chewed up the timing belt. I think it cost about $600 including towing about 8 years ago. Recommend you factor in having to replace the timing belt and water pump if the replacement of these items is unknown.

• Like 1

I have just been on those sites prior to joining up here, but thanks for those :)

Is that generally the only issue that you have experienced? I havent been able to find much wrong with the car from online searches, thats a great sign...means that i'm 1 step closer :) Thanks :)

What are you thoughts on the Corolla E-120? this is know as a Run-X in South Africa (Yeah thats my home Country).

It is believed to be a great runner over there and has the general Toyota reliability

i have only now seen that this thread is not for car related topics...Sorry about that Admin...will pop this through in another thread.

My bad:wacko:

Based upon my experiences with a 1998 Camry, I replaced the original front brake pads at 150,000km [not heavy on the brakes], replacement cheap Made in China pads only lasted about 30,000km before being replaced with Bendix brand and front rotors also replaced. Coolant overflow bottle also replaced and the plastic top of the radiator got a crack about 185,000 km. Overall, excellent Toyota reliability.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Based upon my experiences with a 1998 Camry, I replaced the original front brake pads at 150,000km [not heavy on the brakes], replacement cheap Made in China pads only lasted about 30,000km before being replaced with Bendix brand and front rotors also replaced. Coolant overflow bottle also replaced and the plastic top of the radiator got a crack about 185,000 km. Overall, excellent Toyota reliability.

Thats good to know, i haven't been able to find any major faults with it online (other than it not being looked after).

Are there any differences between the manual and the auto (i definitely prefer the manual)?

Manual for driving experience and a bit more power.

The 5S in the Celica is actually slightly different to the Camry. The Camry had balance shafts geared to the crank whereas the Celica does not. These shafts sap a little power.

13 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Manual for driving experience and a bit more power.

The 5S in the Celica is actually slightly different to the Camry. The Camry had balance shafts geared to the crank whereas the Celica does not. These shafts sap a little power.

And later-model Camrys ran coilpacks instead of a distributor too

• Like 1

Thats good to hear, i haven't heard any considerable issues with this specific model (yet).

i have seen quite a few for sale so parts should be easily accessible if need be, are there any recommended mechanics around the Shire should i need to have anything checked out?