2010 Rear Brake lights not working (not tailgate)

thetallbloke

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Tarago and the brake lights on one side don't come on.  They are in a cluster of LEDs that come on when the headlights are turned on, just brighter when the brakes are pressed.  These are the ones that are on the main body of the vehicle, as opposed to the boot.  Incidentally, this seems to be the same side that the towbar wiring has been spliced into.

I'm just wondering what could be the issue and whether this has to go back to Toyota to fix or can I just replace a fuse (or probably an expensive black box) to get them working again for a rego check.

The LEDs come on when the headlights are turned on, but don't go brighter (like the other side does) when the brake is pressed.  I've had a look at fuses that I can find in the foot area on the driver and passenger sides, but the labels are a little cryptic so I'm just guessing which ones to check.  I'm about to pull every one out and individually check them all.

Does anyone have any clues on what to check???

Thanks in advance.

Well, I checked all the wiring at the back of the car that had wiring spliced in.  That all seemed to check out.  Got the multi-meter onto the wires and checked what happened when the headlights (lights at the back come on when headlights are on) were turned on and then the brakes and blinkers.  No current when the brakes applied.

Moved onto the front of the car and the fuses.  Pulled out every fuse down near the driver's foot area.  All good.  Then literally pulled out every fuse on the passenger side and the last one in the fuse box was the blown one..!!!!  ARGH..  not just the last one I pulled out, I worked down the right side of the fuse box and then the left and the last one was labelled something like "STP RL", makes sense now, didn't put 2 and 2 together the other day..  :-(

Fuse replaced, lights work..  oh well.  all good.

So am I.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the vehicle itself that is causing the issue.  I've switched out another 7.5a fuse and applied the brakes and the lights work fine now.  My guess is my mate's trailer wiring is to blame, but proving it won't be all that easy.

Oh well, I now know what to check next time.