Fuel consumption

Aurion 14

Not necessarily in these days of adaptive ECUs. Ethanol has a third less calorific density than unleaded so a 10% blend will usually net a 3% reduction in mileage. Ethanol however is 113RON so a typical E10 blend is 94/95RON and many modern vehicles will advance ignition timing to take advantage of this fact. Older vehicles with a distributor would require a similar manual advance.

It's the same concept as to why many vehicles gain better mileage on 98RON - the Otto Cycle is more efficient if more compression is allowed to occur without detonation.

I havent had much luck with any ethonal fuel in any other car ive owned, other than just getting less distance per tank. But ill try a tank of 95 e10 and see how it goes. On 95 or 98 i get basically 500km to a tank. So thats a good benchmark.

• 4 weeks later...

We're already up to 5000KM since aquisition. Had a good chance to experiment with fuel. On motorway (as opposed to highway) cycle sitting on low 7s on 98RON. Can't seem to push it lower than 9 on either 91RON or E10. Makes sense to use 98.

Highway driving (one lane each way, hillier, some overtaking) on 98RON consumption is in the high 8s. On 91RON/E10 around 10.

Urban driving 98RON is around 11.5 and ULP/E10 12.0. Given the added cost of 98RON it makes no financial sense to use it around town. No difference in consumption spotted between ULP and E10.

I've also found the consumption calculator in the vehicle over estimates actual consumption. FWIW when filling up with E10 or ULP the DTE reads around 560KM and 640KM on 98.

• Like 1

I’ve been using 95/98 since I own my Aurion never used 91 and I’m thinking of using 91 these days. 

3 hours ago, Jon Albiez said:

Highway driving (one lane each way, hillier, some overtaking) on 98RON consumption is in the high 8s. On 91RON/E10 around 10.

Now I think I’m gonna just stick with 95:) 

I bought my aurion three months ago and now I’ve done 8,000 km with it. I usually get around 7.6 l/100km on highway with 95RON and Nulon 5w30 full synthetic oil (Non PAO based oil (doesn’t matter much here)). When cruising, no acceleration, and at 100 kph, I usually get around 6.9 l/100km. By the way, back in my home country, China, the OE engine oil for 2gr-fe engine in a much heavier vehicle, highlander, is 0w20. With 0w-20, the Petrol consumption could definitely go lower.

98 doesn’t provide obvious extra gain than 95 to me. I used it only when I couldn’t find 95 at the gas stations. 

Edited by PengNZ

On 11/19/2017 at 8:41 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't get why your imported model requires premium anyway. Is it a higher compression or something ?

Me too.

Here in NZ, pretty same car same engine with same specifications built by you Aussie, Toyota New Zealand’s website specifies that Aurion requires 95 octane or higher. I don’t get it too! normal compression ration, no direct injection, no turbocharged, no supercharged, why 95 then? 😂😂😂

https://www.toyota.co.nz/our-range/aurion/aurion/specifications/sportivo-zr6/

Does not make sense considering that lower octane can be used in colder climates. Maybe it is related to the variability of fuel quality at the petrol station pump in NZ.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/04/11/tech-101-octane-the-facts-and-the-fiction-behind-those-higher-priced-fuels/

95RON unless as part of E10 is uncommon where I am - 98RON is much more readily available. As I've already mentioned it's the ability to advance ignition timing that is generally responsible for increased efficiency on most models. I'd likely find that 95RON would likely return the same results but hey, need to find it first :)

Would be interesting to pull live fuel maps on differing fuels.

• 4 months later...