Camry XV10 tips/tricks/advice

CM641

Hi There everyone,

I have an XV10 Camry Intrigue 2.2, with 68,000KMs on the clock. It's practically brand new. Like a time capsule.

It has had the Distributor O Ring, the CV Boots and the steering rack boots replaced recently.

I wanted to ask for some advice:

What oil should I use to prevent sludging? (Castrol Magnatec?)

Should I flush the cooling system and refill with pink super long life Toyota coolant, since it is almost 20 years old?

This car is still like brand new, and has only ever had OEM parts installed by a reputable mechanic or myself.

Also, apart from sludging and cooling system corrosion problems with the 5S-FE, are there quirks and other characteristics of this car that I should know about to prevent damage?

I do not plan on ever selling this car, so I am happy to pay whatever it costs to make it last as long as possible. There is no budget restriction with this car, as it has cost nothing in the almost 20 years that we have had it in our family.

In case anyone wanted some advice on tyres, I highly recommend Toyo Proxes C100+ Tyres. Much better than the Goodyear Eagle GAs that were on there. Very quiet tyres.

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Charlie

I used Penrite 15W-40 oils from the first service I bought the car in 2004 and when I pulled the engine apart in 2011(to do some performance modifications), there was no sludge or signs of excessive wear with 201,XXXKM.

In regards to the coolant, only use the red Long Life, not the Super Long Life and perform coolant changes every 40,000 - 60,000KMs. Nulon makes a good alternative to the OEM coolant.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. I have a near new jug of Red OEM coolant, so I'll get onto it right away. Should kill some time and keep me busy. 

I asked my dad about it and he just said that "it never needs changing" and  he'd "run it on tap water because it's not a Ferrari". I bet his opinion would be different if it were his car An interesting response from him for sure...