2009 Aurion blowing smoke on acceleration

I have a 2009 Toyota aurion that I was late on the 75000km service. It was serviced at 80000kms. I took it to ultra tune for its 90,000km on time and they changed the spark plugs and said there was a lot of sludge in the engine. They said they flushed it and put 5w/30 oil in it. The engine light came on and when I accelerate hard it blows a huge cloud of white smoke- so much so cars driving behind me slow down/ stop. Also after a long drive (150+ kms) when I stop for 10 mins for a break then start the car back up and take off again it blows a huge cloud of white smoke for 30 seconds.The engine light keeps coming on and I took it back to ultra tune and they just reset the fault. After the 3rd time of taking it back they said the piston/oil rings are warn and quoted roughly $8k to repair. After speaking to another mechanic I flushed the engine and changed the oil filter and put in 6.1 litres of 15w/40. I drove the car to Melbourne and the car used 2 litres of oil (in 800kms). I took it Toyota Melbourne and they checked over the car and said the fault was that the air bleed control valve wire had broken and they repaired it. They said that would of been causing the smoke.( did not want to elaborate on how). The fault lights didn't come back on on the drive back from Melbourne but when I accelerate from 100km to 110km to over take it was still blowing huge amounts of smoke. And when going up a hill and accelerating it would do the same. Not sure what to do at this stage as Toyota said the car is running fine and ultra tune say it is rooted. Is there anything I can check myself? Already spent $1500 on this problem and haven't got any where!

I have had the same experience with the engine blowing smoke. The cause is engine sludge. I have done postings on this issue so do a search on this Forum with the search term "blowing smoke" and you should locate it.

What is happening is that oil is being drawn/sucked into the intake via the PCV because oil lubricating the valve gear cannot drain away quick enough. My PCV was blocked up with oil sludge.

The best quick solution is to remove both valve covers and thoroughly cleaned to remove the sludge from the oil drain channels. Also clean the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation valve].

What I have done is to use 500ml of diesel or ATF instead of commercial engine flush. I have done eight [8] oil and filter cartridge changes in the last 12 months and over 13K. Last oil change last weekend was quite black. and still plenty of "coffee grounds" caught in the filter cartridge. Finally satisfied that the engine is definitely and totally de-sludged.

Recently bought a 2009 Aurion done 106K with the same smoking issue. Already put 2 lots of commercial engine flush through it with oil and filter changes then done the 500ml of ATF treatment a few times. Smokes a very little bit after start up but has improved noticeably.

I was told by an ex-Toyata dealer employee that the Aurion engine should be good for about 400K before rings will need to be done.

The original Toyota spark plugs should have a life of about 190K. When you do go to replace the plugs, NGK and Denso are usually the brands that are recommended. Ensure you get the long life iridium plugs. The regular iridium plugs don't have platinum side electrodes.

Suggest you rely more upon the advice from the Toyota Dealership. Personally, I have never taken any of my vehicles to UltraTune.

• Like 2

I would do as campbeam and Trentmeyer23 suggested..I had to recently do a recall for the door switch grease thingy..received excellent service from Brian Hilton Toyota here on the Central Coast...have never used ultra-tune but similar agency types have lead me off the garden path chasing faults in the past...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KAA said:

...have never used ultra-tune but similar agency types have lead me off the garden path chasing faults in the past...

I agree with that statement. In the past when I had a non-Toyota car serviced at a place like Ultra Tune (I don't want to name names), they would generally find something that needed to be fixed or replaced on top of the servicing. It never seemed to be just a servicing.

For the past 6 years, I've had my Aurion serviced at City Toyota - Northbridge WA and generally that's all they do, they service the car and return the keys. 

• Like 1

If sludge turns out to be a problem I would use this product http://www.costeffective.com.au/Product/27/flushing-oil-concentrate where you drain the oil fill it with new oil (can be cheap stuff) get it to operating temperature (important), add the concentrate run engine for the recommended revs and time then drain and replace filter and refill with a good oil.

let us know how you get on

• 2 months later...

Latest experience and learning is to regularly check/clean/replace the PCV valve.

If the PCV valve is not functioning correctly, this will contribute to oil sludge. Refer attached URL

Previously cleaned the PCV valve about 12 months ago and have just given it a more thorough clean. After removing the PCV valve, I sprayed degreaser into it and then shaked it. Repeated this process 3 times and then finally used silicone lubricant spray. End result being that it rattled a lot more easily and louder.

Also ordered new PCV valves from Amayama.

PCV Valve Part Number [sourced from Toyota Nation posting]: Valve: 12204-31040/12204-31120

https://www.autorepairhelp.us/pcv-valve-related-symptoms-and-problems/

I suspect your PCV valve is not the problem but a symptom of another, blow past maybe. If it is getting blocked you still have a problem.

In hindsight the best way to prevent all this is to buy a car that has been serviced (verified) at least by the book if buying 2nd hand, and then change the oil every 10K 6months or some experienced forum uses say even more regularly, oils cheap really when you look at the potential problems.

Edited by mg85

Isn't the whole idea of PCV to address blow-by & I'm staggered than an Aurion has sludge in it after only 90K kms. I thought PCV valves were bomb-proof ? Is the OP's car a 1 owner only car ? If not then usage & service history is questionable & cause of sludge.

I think the moral of this story is to:

1: Only use full synthetic oil

2: OCI to be no more than 10K kms, or use semi-synth & change out every 5K kms.

The Aurion is a brilliant motor-car, I'm really surprised to hear of these problems.

Edited by ZZT86

My experiences and learnings are based upon doing 7 oil and filter changes in the past 12 months and 11,000 kms which included 5,000 kms for 2 interstate trips to get rid of oil sludge in the engine.

What causes the smoking on acceleration or initial start up of the engine is accumulated oil sludge in the oil drain channels in the valve cover. The oil cannot drain quickly enough and is sucked up by the vacum into the inlet manifold. In my case, 12 months ago, the engine was still full of sludge and the PCV valve was blocked [presumably open] thus drawing about 1-2 litres of oil in a short days driving from Narrabri to West Wyalong on the Newell Highway. Shortly afterwards, I did clean the PCV valve so it rattled but the engine still smoked on start up. Thus began the saga of multiple oil changes [without removing and de-greasing/cleaning the valve covers].

In hindsight, I should have cleaned the PCV valve much more thoroughly and checked/cleaned it at subsequent oil and filter changes. I should have most certainly done this before the most recent interstate trip a few weeks ago when I do hard accelaration for overtaking.

A few internet postings by mechanics indicate owners have spent $,000's on repairs which could have been avoided by replacing the PCV valve. In my case, I think I would have been able to reduce the number of oil and filter changes.

• 1 year later...

I bought an Aurion from a private sale about 7 months ago with around 150k kms on clock. The owner seems to be very positive on the servicing and intervals ( he had this car for 10 years). But, the car was poorly maintained which I got to know when I got it serviced. The oil filter cartridge was never changed (it was heavily sludged). The car ran beautifully for about 10,000 kms after that service, Fully synthetic oil change every 5000 kms .

My car experienced the same issue while coming back from chadstone to my place which is about 30 kms. The VSC light came on and the car would shudder and blow blue smoke leaving the cars behind in a smoke cloud. 

I spoke to a mechanic who works for a Toyota Dealership and he suggested that the engine sludge issue is very common on Toyota V6 engines (2GRFxx) in Aurion/Kluger.

Poorly maintained V6 Toyotas suffer from engine sludge causing drain channels to block and also PCV valves.

I have done about 7-8 oil changes after using different engine flushes and car still blows smoke for long drives. I did flush yesterday with commercial grade engine flush from a mechanic and seems to be okay for now.

I have cleaned the sludge in the bonnet side of the rocker cover but other side still has a lot of sludge in it. I will update you guys on how I go this week after getting the side 2 of the engine cleaned.

Just to show you the amount of sludge in one side, please see photo attached that I took.

Please let me know if any of you guys have had success 

IMG_20171028_200842.jpg

Your photo is certainly indicating how bad and extensive the oil sludging is in your engine. Certainly hope that you thoroughly cleaned the oil channels in the front valve cover and the PCV valve. I would be wary of using commercial engine flushes in a badly sludged engine because the oil pick up screen can get blocked.

Seeing that you have already pulled off the front valve cover and seen the extent of your problem, keep going with your planned removal of the rear valve cover. I would also be inclined to remove the engine sump and see how much sludge has accumulated there and check/clean the oil pick up screen.

Something that I have started doing is to check/clean the oil filter cartridge every few weeks.

I started to work after looking at your posts. You've done a great job.

Yes, I tried opening the rear rocker cover but the screw behind intake manifold was stopping me. I will use your advise in regards to changing oil filter. Is there a second PCV at the rear ?

There is only 1 PCV valve.

What I have been doing to de-sludge the engine is ongoing over a few years avoiding removing valve covers and engine sump. It suits me to take this long term approach. 

I found an Aurion owner doing a Diesel flush which fixed his smoke issue. Please check comments section and my comment regarding this thread 

Edited by Codename47

3 hours ago, Codename47 said:

Aurion owner doing a Diesel flush which fixed his smoke issue

It would have worked for him because his engine is not badly sludged up. I notice that he had a previous video where he used a commercial engine flush then this engine oil and diesel combination flush 6000 kms later.

An update with the issue

On Tuesday last week: I added 5-600 ml Penrite ATF Multi Vehicle (I have about 2 cans lying around ) and gave the car to Mechanic. 

He works for Toyota and is aware of the issue. He opened both rocker covers and gave them a good clean. Also cleaned the intake manifold. 

Drain channels seems to be cleaned and looks like ATF has cleaned the rocker covers nicely.

No smoke today morning. I will update this thread with any issues I encounter.

Also, I picked up 2x 6 Litre Castrol Engine oil (10w40) for $19.95 each for next few services that am going to give it a final clean up.

Just an update:

Day 4 , no smoke so far. I haven't drained the 5L(Engine oil)+500ml(ATF) yet. 

I will be doing a drain this weekend and refill with 5 L engine oil + 1 L ATF 

Edited by Codename47