Ticking noise from clutch

dutto98

Hey guys, First time posting in here. So i recently bought an 07 Hilux. The guy before me took very good care of it servicing it every 10 000 kms etc with all the log book history. I couldnt fault the car until i went to drive it. He has a heavy duty clutch in it. When i test drove it i noticed a shutter coming out of first gear, but he told me that it was normal and its always done it. I ended buying this car, i went to pick it up the other day. On my way home when i had it in neautral i started to notice a ticking noise, when i pushed the clutch down the noise went away but when the clutch was fully pressed it sounded like something rubbing. Now whenever the clutch isnt pressed i can just hear this ticking noise. The clutch to fully engaged also goes right to the floor i dont know if this is normal? 

If someone is able to shred some light on what they think it is would be great

Jack  Dutton

G'day Jack, if the tick goes away whenever you touch the clutch it is definitely a dry throw out bearing.

You get access by pulling back the boot on the clutch fork where it goes into the bell housing.  Use lube in a pressure pack can with that little pipe on it so you can direct the lube onto the bearing without spraying it all over the clutch plates.  A little bit won't hurt.  Put the boot back and you are done.  5min job, too easy.

I found motorcycle chain lube works well.

I have to do mine about every 12 months or if it has been through water.

With your pedal not engaging until it is near the floor I would be looking at the master cylinder which may be low on fluid or require bleeding. The clutch system is very similar to your brake system.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

Edited by Geoff Cobden