98 hilux gearbox blown

Loganator160

Hi all, I've got a 1998 hilux. The motor model is a 5L  with aftermarket turbo. Driving back from pt Augusta to Adelaide the gearbox lost power in 5th. Can only use 4th gear now. No 1st, 2nd, 3rd or reverse. I understand 4th works cause its straight through. It was rebuilt only 23months ago going by receipts. (bought second hand 2 months back).

Chatted to the Mechanic today and he says he can replace it for 950 plus labour. I asked him about the possibility of putting an R151 in and he wasn't sure. If I purchase an R151 is it a straight swap over? From what I gather they are a stronger gearbox. If it's not a straight swap over what is required to make it work? 

Before the gearbox went it use to run around 3000rpm a100kmh. Anything I can do to reduce this since I'm replacing the gearbox? I read a little on a dyna 5th gear. 

Higher/faster gearing INCREASES damaging torque stresses in gearbox, thus be careful.   Can overheat motor with increased load     5L not recommended for turbo.  Gets too hot too easily.   Other posters indicate piston failures with turbo.   New motor made to turbo 3.0L diesel.    Hilux never made as powerhouse-not suited to that purpose, tho many have spent much, few actually seem to succeed.     Nissans have bigger engines, bodies for same year, and I would expect them to have more power, but if you really want/need a tojo, then you'll have to just lump it.    Silk purses/pigs ears come to mind.     My LN147R has more than enough power for my driving, and I could easily live on <60KW diesel if it were still available in a 'lux without efi.      I was actually quite happy with an L motor with sidecam/rockers in a 1.4T hilux.    It was very good.        

Edited by Edd Wrath