Replacing Steering Wheel - GSV50R

MP1988

Hi All

I have a 2013 50-series Aurion AT-X and I'm potentially looking to replace the regular vinyl steering wheel with a Leather wrapped steering wheel. 

Just wondering about the cost to have it installed - and if anyone recommends anyone in the eastern Melbourne area for installation. 

I've found a few on eBay for around 170-200, or alternatively wreckers may be a better option and they may offer installation services?

I'd do it myself but I'm not 100% confident, as there is dealing with the airbag involved. 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, have looked at a couple of videos and seems fairly straight forward, however would still prefer to have someone else more experienced do the changeover especially as the airbag is involved. 

Found a 50-series Presara wheel, however it has the little voice command button on the right of the wheel (with the phone controls), obviously as I have an AT-X it wouldn't function, but would a simple swapover work, and have all the other controls working as per normal?

Removing the airbag is an easy procedure. Just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, pump the brake pedal a few times, wait 10-minutes for good measure and then undo the two Torx head screws on each side of the steering wheel (pop out the small plastic covers to expose the screws). Once they're loose (they don't completely come out) you can release the airbag and disconnect the wiring connector by gently popping up the tab on the top and pulling the connector out. Then just loosen the 19mm nut that holds the steering wheel on, but DON'T completely remove it, you want it just threaded on a couple of turns, so that when you rock the steering wheel back and forward to pop it off it won't fly off and break your nose. Give it a few forceful pushes and pulls with your hands in the 10' & 2' position and it'll come off easily.

The voice control button and call function buttons likely won't work on your AT-X, as it'll probably be lacking the extra wires in the airbag clock spring, and also the microphone in the roof console (unless you already have factory Bluetooth), but if you wanted it to work you just need to insert extra pins into the clock spring plug and run the necessary wires. Otherwise, either leave them as dummy buttons or swap over your existing AT-X buttons, meaning the only thing that will be different is that the steering wheel is leather wrapped instead of being vinyl.

So basically, make sure you disconnect power to the battery, be careful with the airbag connectors and make sure the steering wheel is dead straight before you start so that you can slide it back onto the splines in the correct position during the reinstall.