1995 camry key fob remote programming

Mick_Marsh

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

I took it to a Toyota dealer. They had no success. They couldn't even program a new one.

Their instructions to program the fob was a little different to what was in the owners handbook.

Any ideas from this?

• 1 month later...

The saga continues.........

The Toyota dealer I took it in to told me they would need the car for a day so they could plug in a reader and ring Toyota for a solution. Last Wednesday was the day. At the end of the day, they were still none the wiser. They had, however, spent two hours removing the glove box and reinstalling the glove box.

They informed me they have ordered a partially programmed fob. "How much?" I asked. "Don't know." they answered. "Will it fix the problem?" I asked. "It should." they replied.

We then engaged in further conversation about the problem in which I was informed I needed a key fob with a grey button and the one I bought was the wrong one because it has a black button. I was also informed that because my Camry was manufactured on 7/95, it requires a partially programmed key fob. We discussed what was printed in the user manual but, that is wrong, apparently. It was on a bulletin, which they could not show me.

The previous owner never had these issues, nor was spun such a ***** and bull story. I dislike it when people who want my money treat me as a fool.

So, act 2.

I went to another Toyota dealer. Went to the service counter. Asked a few prices. Then, informing them the following questions were loaded, asked questions relating to my experience in getting a key fob programmed, black buttons, grey buttons, pre-programming and the like. After getting answers, I explained the full story.

"We can fix it for you" they said. In less than half an hour, my wallet about $70 lighter, I walked out with a new working key fob.

What magic they performed, I know not....

But....

I have been left very unimpressed with the Toyota dealership network as a whole.

Edited by Mick_Marsh

1 hour ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Why did you not just see an automotive locksmith? Toyota knows less about their 10+ year old cars than the independant guys.

Why didn't you post this three months ago?

I bought the black buttoned key fob from Mr Minit. Is he an automotive locksmith? If yes, he "just sells them".

1 hour ago, Mick_Marsh said:

Why didn't you post this three months ago?

I bought the black buttoned key fob from Mr Minit. Is he an automotive locksmith? If yes, he "just sells them".

I have only just seen this post. If I had seen it earlier I would have directed you to mr2 who is a member here and also a locksmith.

Mr Minit is not a locksmith.

The manager of Olympic Locksmiths on Victoria Rd Gladesville NSW can find the correct solution.

He has helped our family and friends many times with toyota keys when the local toyota dealer couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

The first dealer contacted me. The Pre-programmed remote had arrived.

I asked "How much?" thinking it would be a ludicrous price. Had that been the case, I would have mentioned where they should put it but, no, it was the same price as a blank one. I asked that they assure me that it was going to work and not take much time, which they did.

I drove to the dealership and after about 45 minutes the service technician advised me he had to make one more call.

"It's not working, is it." I said.

"I just need to make one more call" he said.

"It's not worth the effort." I said.

I doubt I'll return.

Oh, thanks for the suggestion Alan. A bit out of the way for me but I'm sure that will help some Sydneysiders who own this type of car.