Hilux v6 conversion

Hiluxforlife

Hey everyone i have a 05 kun26 hilux i have blown the motor and need a new one now is it easier and cheaper to replace the 3lt turbo diesel motor or get a v6 conversion kit and put a commadore motor in what would be better?? my mate is a qualified mechanic and is going to do the work so dont need to pay for labor just parts can anyone help?? 

If V6 or similar, I would expect g'box and diff upgrade too. Brakes will prob be ok, unless >120% max diesel power  NB changing from diesel to petrol isn't overly difficult, but still requires much thought.   The expense may not be worth the bother, tho' I hear it's been done.   If its KW you want, wrong car-don't.    hilux not suited to great power upgrades.  

• 1 month later...

I had a v6 commo 4runner. They make for a great conversion but MANY experience over heating issues. What ever diff and gearbox my runner had it was strong as hell. I gave it abuse to no end on and off road and it always took it like a champ.

I couldn't get mine to cool down no matter what i did. New bigger radiator, big thermos etc. In the end i bolted a reverse rotation engine fan straight off the waterpump/ After that without a thermostat it couldn't even budge the temperature gauge haha. It killed some power but the befits were ten fold especially for a 4wd.

Another thing to consider is the electronics component of the conversion. You really need the marks adapter for the speedo otherwise the motor reverts to a limp home mode.

53938d1322518877-keeping-4runner-cool-bu