High petrol consumption

krigeroz

I am getting 22L, in the city I think it is a bit high. I will be going to the mechanic on Monday, is there anything I should point out to him. It is Aurion 2013 with over 100k on the clock. I'm been trying to use Eco mode, but it looks like the Eco mode gives the higher petrol consumption for me. Have anyone been using Eco mode with much success? The pressure in my wheels was 31 I pumped them to 36psi. Hope that will help a bit. I'm been using Premium 98.

20161123_160348_resize.jpg

20161123_160421_resize.jpg

20161123_160441_resize.jpg

Here's my 5 cents worth, I don't have eco mode on my 2007 aurion but I have been driving mine for about 6 years and this is what I've found out.

If I'm mainly urban/city driving all week, I will average 13-14L per 100km.

If I'm mainly freeway commuting Monday to Friday and urban/city driving on the weekends, I will average around 10L per 100km.

If I go a long highway drive with 98ron petrol, I can usually get the consumption down to 7.8L per 100km.

I have experimented a lot with tyre pressures but the one I like the most is 32PSI at the back and 34-36PSI at the front.

I like to use 98ron but damn the price has been high recently.

----

During the winter months, I used to let the let the car idle for at least a minute every morning before setting off for work, it was during those months that most of my driving was urban/city with little freeway driving, I was averaging 13-14L per 100km. 22L does seem a bit high but then again, our aurions are not the same. 

Hope this helps and I hope you get some answers too.

• Like 1

Similar experience as Kombi17 with my 2006 Aurion.

Average 10L per 100km with urban driving.

Can also achieve 7.8L per 100km for interstate trips when cruising. Not so good with lots of full throttle overtaking manouvres.

I have mainly used 36PSI on my various vehicles. However, now using 38-40PSI on my Aurion which is fitted with standard profile tyres. 

I am no expert in these things, but if I was regularly reading numbers like that on the display, and also needing to fill after a short distance, i would be having all of the vital functons checked by a competent mechanic who has access to a proper test rig. Sounds like a fuel delivery malfunction to me.

Ok, today i was driving a bit  around city area the speed average was 60 km/h and then going to my friends place on freeway, speed between 80 to 100 km/h for about 60 min going and coming back home. 
The computer now showing average 11.2L /100km consumption and Eco drive 8.5L/100km. And average speed 40km/h. And I remember when i was driving around city area only with traffic lights. The average speed showing on the computer was around 6km/h. I think something is off.

https://goo.gl/photos/WqHgPudGWmJih6KN9

20161127_195014.jpg

20161127_195237.jpg

20161127_195253.jpg

20161127_195059.jpg

20161127_195119.jpg

Edited by krigeroz

When going to the mechanic what should I be asking? Do you think change of the oil and transmission fluid to full synthetic will help???

Edited by krigeroz

Are you going to a Toyota dealers to have it checked out? If so, you wouldn't need to ask so many questions but instead just tell them what your issues are and they should be able to tell you what's going on. 

If you take your car to a local mechanic, your chances of getting your answers may be lower. A Toyota mechanic only deals with Toyota cars and a local mechanic deals with ALL cars, that's a lot of homework to do to keep up to date on your car.

The other advantage of taking it to a dealership is that they can check all the recalls and perhaps/will fix them free of charge. This happened in my case at my last service where a rubber hose was replaced with a metal hose as part of a recall despite my car being 9 years old.

4 minutes ago, Kombi17 said:

Are you going to a Toyota dealers to have it checked out? If so, you wouldn't need to ask so many questions but instead just tell them what your issues are and they should be able to tell you what's going on. 

If you take your car to a local mechanic, your chances of getting your answers may be lower. A Toyota mechanic only deals with Toyota cars and a local mechanic deals with ALL cars, that's a lot of homework to do to keep up to date on your car.

The other advantage of taking it to a dealership is that they can check all the recalls and perhaps/will fix them free of charge. This happened in my case at my last service where a rubber hose was replaced with a metal hose as part of a recall despite my car being 9 years old.

At the moment I was planning to go to a local mechanic, the car is out of warranty and Toyota service, people are saying could be as high as $1000. So I guess if my local mechanic would not be able to help then will be going to Toyota service. :(

Where are you based Krigeroz? I'm in Perth and I would recommend City Toyota in Northbridge. I've had my Aurion serviced there for the last 6 years and haven't had any issues with them.

I'm sure it can be more expensive serving a car at dealership but these are the reasons I take mine to one:

- The crew at Northbridge give great customer service and care about you and your car. I mentioned about replacing the hose on my car at the last service, first it was free and since it was on a Friday arvo, they gave me a loan car for the weekend.

- They have the latest news, updates and manuals on their Toyota cars. Again, I'm sure I can service my car cheaper elsewhere but it's the peace of mind I get knowing it's getting done right. I'm not sure how many aurions a local mechanic would service a day/week but I know it's no where as many as a Toyota mechanic.

- Finally as mentioned  before, Toyota dealers are aware of recalls and fix them for you even if your car is out of warranty. My car is 9 year old and the cost of shipping the metal hose from Sydney head office and replacing the recall rubber hose (which wass prone to bursting) didn't cost me anything.

I reckon if you asked your local mechanic ' Do you think change of the oil and transmission fluid to full synthetic will help??? ' They would probably answer 'Well it's not going to do any harm, would you like me to do it??'  $$$$$

2 minutes ago, Kombi17 said:

I reckon if you asked your local mechanic ' Do you think change of the oil and transmission fluid to full synthetic will help??? ' They would probably answer 'Well it's not going to do any harm, would you like me to do it??'  $$$$$

You are right, I know what  you are saying and thats what is likely to happen,  I'm still learning at the moment myself.  How much do you pay for the service at your local Toyota?

I am based in Melbourne. 

The last service was the 180,000km one and it cost about $400, it was during that service that replaced the dodgy hose. I only service my car once a year and will replace the oil myself at the 6 month mark.

I'm interested to know as I have no idea, how much would does a similar service cost at a local mechanics? About half?? 

At Northbridge Toyota generally when I get my car serviced there that's what they do, they service my car and give me back my keys.

A long time ago when I had a non-toyota car and serviced it a franchise car servicing place, they would also find issues with the car to fix along with the servicing, it was never just a service.

May sound stupid, but are you sure it's really that bad ?    I've always kept a little book of fill-ups and mileage (A habit from the days when your car didn't tell you! ).   I've found that the displayed econ is pretty good against my diary, but once or twice it has shown quite a big difference for no obvious reason. Or at least nothing I can think of.

Yeah,  it's very old school, but it tells you exactly how much gas your car uses.

I also reckon my speedo reads a about 9-10%  high at town speeds, but more normal 4-5%  at highway speeds - which looks like it was designed in.

Edited by V6_fan
typos

The bigger picture is to note that the average consumption reading resets itself every time you fill up the tank. To ensure an accurate reading, I would drive around for a while and allow the reading to settle before checking. Sometimes taking off from the servo will make it read 29ltr/100km, let alone 22 ltr/100km. However you need to give it some time to adjust. 

I have a 2006 Aurion and I always reset my trip counter as I fill up. I used to drive 500+ km on full tank (till the light comes up) and now on the same route with the same usage I get 320km which tells me it uses 22+ litres now. So there is obviously something different (and the change was slow over a few months). Any idea what should be checked?

9 hours ago, Noodle Boy said:

The bigger picture is to note that the average consumption reading resets itself every time you fill up the tank. To ensure an accurate reading, I would drive around for a while and allow the reading to settle before checking. Sometimes taking off from the servo will make it read 29ltr/100km, let alone 22 ltr/100km. However you need to give it some time to adjust. 

Ooh, looks like that's what I've got, the same problem

Avalonnw,

Definitely check the air filter. No harm in cleaning the throttle body and the MAF [mass airflow] sensor.

Also clean/check/replace the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve.

Depending upon your odometer reading, the original long life iridium spark plugs will be due for replacement after about 192,000 kms.

Something else to consider is an oil and filter cartridge change if you have done more than 5,000 km since the last change.

If the odometer reading is >160,000km, a transmission fluid and filter change is highly advisable assuming that the transmission has not been touched since new. 

56 minutes ago, Avalonnw said:

I personally was planning on asking that next:)

Seriously though, is there a service manual available for download anywhere?

They are available online but Toyota wants you to pay some $$$

https://toyotamanuals.com.au/document/landing_page/camry-service-repair-manual-oct-11-current

https://toyotamanuals.com.au/

Edited by krigeroz

and here is  a free version only in Russian: 

Online:

http://toyotacamry.ru/doccamry/v50/MANUAL.HTM/rm19r1ru/index2.html

file itself, just sign up as member to download the file:

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4181772

once you find the sensor please let us know :))))

Edited by krigeroz