Toyota camry (holden apollo 1993) oil leak arghhh!

Tom Gladwin

Hey there,

I've got an oil leak that is dripping down onto the exhaust pipe at the flex joint, causing some rather unpleasant smells! I'm pretty sure that the leak is only really slow as the oil is maintaining it's level. The coolant is also somehow leaking and it was almost empty the other day, not sure if it's a related issue or not. I've not got a clue about cars but unfortunately not in the financial situation to be able to visit a mechanic. If the leak is from an engine or transmission gasket is it worth a try with those oil additives that apparently can stop the leaks? Or as the oil leak is only really slow is there something i can fit ontop of the exhaust to prevent the oil dripping onto it? Hoping some of you legends can help me out. Here is the novice video i sent to my dad on the issue, apologies for the nieveness!!!

Looks like it is time for you to buy a repair manual such as a Haynes or Gregorys, these will help a lot. 

If you are in no position to get a mechanic to do it, you need to start learning really quickly.

Do not use additives, they will cause bigger problems in the long run.

You probably have multiple leaks there, but always remember oil doesn't leak upwards, so always start looking at the top. 

For you to have oil leaks that far up the engine at the rear, pay particular attention to the valve cover seal and and the distributor o-ring. If you don't know where these compnents are, Google 5S-FE followed by the component mentioned and click on images.

You may also have have a leak from the timing belt region as well. It's really hard to tell, so degreasing the engine will help to clear away a lot of this oil, then keep an eye on where it is coming from. 

In regards to the coolant loss, there is a good chance it is coming from the water pump.

While this is one is used, it is nice and cheap. It was the first type of manual that I started with years ago.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232146449818

Or there is this one which I also own, but it appears to be in far worse condition.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201730453866

Either of these would be helpful. You can buy them new, but they are quite a lot more expensive.