Clutch question (Aus) Corolla 2006 ZZE122R with 1ZZ-FE motor

Can anyone tell me approximately how many kilometers original clutch should last in one of these Corollas please?  I have one with 150,000km, which is getting intermittent problem with clutch pedal staying down near floor making it impossible to change gears.  If you manually pull the pedal back up level with brake it goes back to normal and stays that way until it does it again.  I would like to know if the pedal is supposed to do that to indicate clutch replacement is due?  If not any ideas what causes the clutch pedal to do that please?

Most likely the hydraulic clutch fluid level is low.

I use the hand pump section from a used household liquid soap dispenser to pump out the old fluid from the reservoir into the plastic bottle.

Then put in fresh fluid. I mainly do this for the steering and brake fluid reservoirs. In my 1995 Honda Prelude, I just fill the clutch fluid reservoir back to the full mark. Previous owner did warn me to check the clutch fluid level and refill as required.

In this YouTube video, he has topped up the clutch fluid above the full mark with the resultant overflow and cleanup. Best to learn from what has not been done by others and improve. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tz0173Vy0o

Also a friend has a 2000 Toyota Celica just passed 300,000km on the odometer but he is very particular about NOT riding the clutch and tries not to have to come to a complete halt at traffic lights.

• Like 1

Thanks I've checked fluid level is good.  No leaks around brake master cyl or hose to clutch cyl, no leaks around pedals.  Also no leaks at cycl on clutch fork.  The clutch pedal is about 1 inch lower than brake pedal even when I pull pedals back to make sure they are seated.  Hey I watched that video of the Russian guy topping up clutch fluid....wow...like could tell it was already full before he tried to add to it...lol

Edited by Strat

Sounds like the master cylinder to me but the slave is easier to check and cheaper to replace.  Considering the age of the car and things are probably still all original I'd change both master and slave at the same time (or at least rebuild the seals, relatively easy job if you have seal picks and flare-nut spanners), the clutch itself should be ok as long as it isn't slipping.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hiro said:

Sounds like the master cylinder to me but the slave is easier to check and cheaper to replace.  Considering the age of the car and things are probably still all original I'd change both master and slave at the same time (or at least rebuild the seals, relatively easy job if you have seal picks and flare-nut spanners), the clutch itself should be ok as long as it isn't slipping.

As Hiro said, it is a good idea to replace as a pair.

I would be less likely to think it was a failed slave due to the lack of fluid loss, as they normally leak externally. 

That being said I have actually seen one seized due to water contamination in the brake fluid and the car sitting for a large period.

• Like 1