Hey guys

I have recently purchased a Toyota corolla 1999 CSI SECA Hatch and want more power under the hood. It was suggested by a friend that I engine swap the small 1.6L engine out for another model/ bigger one from a camry (1.8L - 2.0L) or Vienta (2.0L v6). Being on my P's I'm guessing there is a power to weight limit. Any suggestions with what engine i can fit and what would be legal for me to drive?

- Thomas

Are there any newer engines that may fit? 

Edited by CorollaMollah

Firstly, the engine sizes you're quoting for the Camry/Vienta are way off - they ran a 2.2L I4 or 3.0L V6 in that era.  Neither are common swaps in Aus either, as they are big heavy engines and there aren't any kits off-the-shelf for the conversion so you're well in to custom territory.  The closest to bolt-in you'll get will be the 1.8L 7AFE found in the AE102 (you have an AE101 by the sounds of it) and the AE112, next step is going to a JDM 4AGE 20V engine or a supercharged 4AGZE, they fit right in but you'll have work to do with the electrics and electronics to make it run properly.

You'll need to consult with your local state roads/transport division as to what you are legally allowed to drive whilst still on your P's, but if it's your first car then I'd concentrate on other things rather than what is under the hood.  There aren't many mods out there that will make a 4AFE go faster (apart from doing a turbo conversion), but you can make the drive "quicker" and more fun by upgrading the handling via suspension, tyres and brakes.

• Like 1

I've commonly seen both the Silver Top and Blacktop 20V's swapped into the AE101's. Again you'd have to check with state roads about if this will be a legal swap.

In NSW, generally any engine swap is illegal for P Platers, mind you it doesn't stop people from driving 20V AE92's, B18 EG's and what not.

Personally, I had a mate that owned a Blacktop 20V AE92 who never had any issues with the police when pulled over, and he got pulled over a lot.

• Like 1

Also I might like to add some info about my mates old AE92:

It was originally a base model with a carburetor 4A-F engine rather then the 4A-FE fuel injected engine. He bought the car with the swap completed and the engine running perfectly (i.e. people usually have issues with the VVT cam not engaging correctly). The swap was done in Canberra but I don't think the engine was ever registered to the chassis.

The car itself had fairly wide wheels, lowered fairly low on coilovers so it did stand out. Again he never had any issues with the police as the engine was literally stock (had the standard 20V plenum and intake setup along with the standard extractor/header). The only modification engine wise was a cat back exhaust which was fairly loud.

It also had the standard drum brakes on the rear which he was planning to upgrade to disks but never got the chance. In saying that, the car still had good braking ability.

11 hours ago, Squalled said:

Also I might like to add some info about my mates old AE92:

It was originally a base model with a carburetor 4A-F engine rather then the 4A-FE fuel injected engine. He bought the car with the swap completed and the engine running perfectly (i.e. people usually have issues with the VVT cam not engaging correctly). The swap was done in Canberra but I don't think the engine was ever registered to the chassis.

The car itself had fairly wide wheels, lowered fairly low on coilovers so it did stand out. Again he never had any issues with the police as the engine was literally stock (had the standard 20V plenum and intake setup along with the standard extractor/header). The only modification engine wise was a cat back exhaust which was fairly loud.

It also had the standard drum brakes on the rear which he was planning to upgrade to disks but never got the chance. In saying that, the car still had good braking ability.

Paulo by any chance?

15 hours ago, Hiro said:

Paulo by any chance?

Not Paulo's, very similar though. I know Paulo's is a silver top 20V with the Toms plenum.

My mate knows him I think actually.