Hi all a new TRD Aurion owner here

TRDnz13

Hi All my name is Bobby and I have purchased a used 2007 TRD Aurion SL in Auckland New Zealand. My TRD is no13 hopefully it isn't a unlucky number for me.

IMG_0049.JPG

• Like 2

Ahhh, so you're the guy who bought this one! Congrats on the purchase! This is 1 of only 2 that I know of in the whole of NZ, and considering they made under 600 of them full stop  in Australia that makes it even more special. I'm in Auckland too. Would love to check it out sometime as it'll no doubt be the only time I ever get to see a TRD model in real-life. Welcome to the forums :)

• Like 1

Hi Scott

Yes I was looking for a used daily driver and I saw the other TRD Aurion in Whangarei for 30-32k I think. It had quite low km around 60,000km but it was beyond my budget.

Originally I was looking at XR6 Turbo, Mark X and SS etc but the TRD Aurion popped up and I knew it was a rare vehicle. 

So when I saw this one on trademe for roughly 20k I jumped on it. I got on a plane to Palmerston North about 1week after the trademe ad went up  test drove it signed the papers. It got transported up to Auckland in a weeks time to Turners Auctions.

Its a little rough here and there as it was daily driven by its previous owner but I am happy with my purchase of course.

I am going to do a couple of things to it and thats all really. 

I am going to install one of these 10.2inch android tablet systems in particular this one below:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Capacitive-10-2-Quadcore-Android-4-4-Car-radio-for-Toyota-Camry-2006-2011-car-radio/1179635_32710547112.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.Hw6lfE

and maybe some performance enhancements - nothing crazy. 

I'm based around East Auckland and work in South Auckland - Drury mainly. Let me know if you want to check it out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRDnz13 said:

Hi Scott

Yes I was looking for a used daily driver and I saw the other TRD Aurion in Whangarei for 30-32k I think. It had quite low km around 60,000km but it was beyond my budget.

Originally I was looking at XR6 Turbo, Mark X and SS etc but the TRD Aurion popped up and I knew it was a rare vehicle. 

So when I saw this one on trademe for roughly 20k I jumped on it. I got on a plane to Palmerston North about 1week after the trademe ad went up  test drove it signed the papers. It got transported up to Auckland in a weeks time to Turners Auctions.

Its a little rough here and there as it was daily driven by its previous owner but I am happy with my purchase of course.

I am going to do a couple of things to it and thats all really. 

I am going to install one of these 10.2inch android tablet systems in particular this one below:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Capacitive-10-2-Quadcore-Android-4-4-Car-radio-for-Toyota-Camry-2006-2011-car-radio/1179635_32710547112.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.Hw6lfE

and maybe some performance enhancements - nothing crazy. 

I'm based around East Auckland and work in South Auckland - Drury mainly. Let me know if you want to check it out. 

I remember the one in Whangarei. It was for sale privately for a while, and then ended up being listed by a park-n-sell place. Not sure what happened to it in the end. From the research I've done on your one it was imported when it was brand new, and a couple of weeks after it arrived it had the personalized plate 'AURION' (correct spelling), then a few days later was changed to the '35OOSL' plates it has now. It's funny you mentioned that headunit as I was looking at that exact same one on AliExpress the other day. Not for my Aurion though as I already have an 8" one in there (sadly these big 10.2" ones are only new to the market so weren't around when I upgraded), but they definitely look good. I'm actually located in Papakura, so I'll no doubt see you sometime on the daily commute to work or out East as quite a few of our family/friends live that way :). I'll be in touch for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Full-Throttle said:

I remember the one in Whangarei. It was for sale privately for a while, and then ended up being listed by a park-n-sell place. Not sure what happened to it in the end. From the research I've done on your one it was imported when it was brand new, and a couple of weeks after it arrived it had the personalized plate 'AURION' (correct spelling), then a few days later was changed to the '35OOSL' plates it has now. It's funny you mentioned that headunit as I was looking at that exact same one on AliExpress the other day. Not for my Aurion though as I already have an 8" one in there (sadly these big 10.2" ones are only new to the market so weren't around when I upgraded), but they definitely look good. I'm actually located in Papakura, so I'll no doubt see you sometime on the daily commute to work or out East as quite a few of our family/friends live that way :). I'll be in touch for sure.

Damm Auckland is such a small place....I grew up in Papakura and work in Drury/Ramarama. 

The first owner is actually Toyota NZ HQ - I assume it was a demo or media car - which could be a good or bad thing....The second owner was a photographer who did work for Toyota NZ frequently. Its had all the recall 's done I checked that with Toyota NZ via email. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Just don't take fast right hand corners...

This was a very well maintained car, so as I said, don't push it too hard.

12463765_10153859337089136_1934550199_n.jpg

The bottom-end equivalent of 52-Card Pickup...

• Like 1

There are alot of right hand corners in NZ.....

To be honest based on my experiences - mechanical failure can happen anytime anywhere, whether its owner neglect, or a poor production batch **** happens when it wants to happen. 

I will enjoy my TRD Aurion anyway I want, and not live in fear of a mechanical failure - If the car breaks it breaks and I will repair it or upgrade it. 

There are over 500 TRD Aurion's out there and many more Lotus Exige S and Evora S with the same setup. I haven't noticed a huge recall on either vehicles and most people believe the 2GR-FE is pretty solid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRDnz13 said:

There are over 500 TRD Aurion's out there and many more Lotus Exige S and Evora S with the same setup. I haven't noticed a huge recall on either vehicles and most people believe the 2GR-FE is pretty solid. 

You should probably do a little more research on the 2GR. While there is no recall, there are large numbers of failures.

We had a bunch of TRD engines let go on these forums alone a couple of years ago. I also have a friend in the US who worked at a dealership, where he saw a lot of 2GR failures. 

I'm not saying you need to live in fear, but whilst those failures were in a different market, it is always good to stay informed.

If you have deep pockets, go for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

research on the 2GR

I have learnt hard lessons from my younger days having to re-ring engine [stupidity] and re-do front wheel bearings [ignorance].

I am always researching the 2GR engine and U660E transmission. I don't think that you will have to be concerned about the VVT-i oil line but when it goes, it is a frustrating time putting in the full metal line. Just remember that the more enthusiastic you are in your driving style, then the more maintenance you will need to do.

Latest internet find on the 2GR engine attached.

Toyota GR series engines.docx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have learnt hard lessons from my younger days having to re-ring engine [stupidity] and re-do front wheel bearings [ignorance].

I am always researching the 2GR engine and U660E transmission. I don't think that you will have to be concerned about the VVT-i oil line but when it goes, it is a frustrating time putting in the full metal line. Just remember that the more enthusiastic you are in your driving style, then the more maintenance you will need to do.

Latest internet find on the 2GR engine attached.

Toyota GR series engines.docx

Thanks for this document it is very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...