New Toyota C-HR forum

Steve

This new section is for the new Toyota C-HR. Even not launched yet, it would be good to see what you guys like about the looks of the new C-HR

so, what do you think?

• Like 1

Body looks Sporty, youthful, eye catching. Unfortunately [in my opinion] for me, it ends there.

I was expecting performance specs to somewhat match the looks.

Looks more like being a Geriatric Sheep in wolfs clothing. Toyota website for the C-HR has a heading of Spirited Performance. Seriously, 85KW and 1590 Kgs. Another case of marketing spin doctoring and I am not buying. 

Probably doesn't help that I was just thinking last night about 4 cylinder engines pushing towards 150KW and 6 cylinder engines towards 250KW in mainstream vehicles by 2020.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2016/toyota/ch-r/toyota-c-hr-2017-review-104751?tracking=dsa&gclid=CJWyq7biz9ECFUNxvAody74JPA

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/toyota-c-hr-2017-review-first-drive-47442

Not everything they make is going to be sporty, they still need to make some cars that act like white goods.

150kW would be a lot to ask of a 1.2L engine and stay reliable for a long period.

I would say their market is for young people who live in the city and want a small soft-roader type of vehicle, but care about looks and economy; and not about performance.

13 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I would say their market is for young people who live in the city and want a small soft-roader type of vehicle, but care about looks and economy; and not about performance.

Agree that that appears to be the target market,  

26 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

150kW would be a lot to ask of a 1.2L engine and stay reliable for a long period.

I was more thinking of the future direction of engine design with the availability of small capacity [i.e. <2.0L] highly efficient 4 cylinder petrol engines fitted with direct injection, twin-turbochargers, supercharger, or both outputting 150KW with long term reliability, Somewhat along the lines of the Ford Ecoboost series of engines or perhaps another engine design.

47 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I was more thinking of the future direction of engine design with the availability of small capacity [i.e. <2.0L] highly efficient 4 cylinder petrol engines fitted with direct injection, twin-turbochargers, supercharger, or both outputting 150KW with long term reliability, Somewhat along the lines of the Ford Ecoboost series of engines or perhaps another engine design.

Those numbers on sub 2L engine are definitely possible and will likely happen. With this, I can see failure rates increasing. You can only increase the reliable efficiency of something, so far; whilst remaining within a reasonable manufacturing budget.

Twin-turbo 4 cylinders have never really taken off due to cost and complexities. It is not all that efficient in comparison to variable vane/geometry turbos which are the way of the future. This has been shown in the diesel market for quite a while now and also the supercar(see Koenigsegg One:1) market to demonstrate the performance benefits.

But staying more with the topic, I think it should sell ok, but I have concerns that the market may be too close to that of the RAV4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I think it should sell ok, but I have concerns that the market may be too close to that of the RAV4.

Yes, time will tell. Expect that the eye-catching stand out design of the C-HR will drive the initial sales. More compact size and smaller engine than RAV4 with a sufficient price differential will have SUV buyers comparing which SUV better meets their needs. I have in mind the size comparison between Yaris and Corolla.

• 5 weeks later...

The video uploaded of some first impressions for drive testing a lucky few were invited to showcased a turbocharged model - that would be ideal I think. Interior & exterior styling are first class.

Edit: Just realised Aust 1.2L model IS turbocharged - that's a pretty small motor.

Edited by ZZT86

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same thoughts of most, 1.2 turbo 85kw, not gonna cut the mustard, UNTIL i took it for test drive, not just around the block, but up & down Old Belair road, then back up the Belair road past windy point. This thing held its head high with brilliant response and very flat handling, not once did the acc-pedal hit the floor the car was in "Normal Mode" and was the AWD version, very impressed

3 days later when the dealer got in a 2wd demo i took it out along the same roads as before, 1st run in "Normal" mode, the 2nd run Up Belair road past Windy Point in "Sport Mode", man there was a huge difference in Response from the engine, if i didn't know it was a 1.2 liter, i would have said it was 2.0l, it was that different. Also 2WD felt as grippy as the AWD, still handled flat around the corners

I have also read in some reviews that the CVT drones inside the Cabin.....Not True at all,,, it was very quiet in there, until of co**** you push it uphill like i was, but Normal everyday use when driving at speed limit around the Suburbs, it's very Quiet

Couple of little criticisms:

1.High window sill for Driver, not comfortable to rest my elbow on when driving, but will probably adapt,

2. No Digital radio, Sat-Nav Screen size smaller than what i'am used to in the Camry, but they tell me Toyota Aust. opted for smaller Screen as the larger size has 2 Knobs, and they wanted all touch controls

3. I am used to Electric Seat Adjustment with 2 memory settings, C-HR has manual seat adjustment with Electric Lumbar adjust. (But has Heated seats)

My Advice...take one for a spin, it will change your mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep

My thoughts exactly.

All the reviews i read said it was a brilliant car but always complained about two things mainly - the cvt and engine size.  Had me a little worried.

But during the test drive the engine was great.  Responsive and quiet.  Was very, very nice.  And the cvt was very quiet. Exceeded all my exceptions and i am coming from a car with a 5 cylinder 2.5 turbo engine in it.

Cant wait to get mine.

Edited by angoth
  • Like 2

I was attracted to the unusual look of this car. I've previously owned a 2001 Corolla Ultima as my only Toyota.  My dad has an Aurion and my mum has an older Corolla.  The C-HR is unlike any Toyota I've ever seen.

I wanted to upgrade my 2012 i30 to a small SUV. I looked at the Vitara first, then the C-HR. After test driving and being amazed with the huge range of safety features, I crossed the Juke, Qashquai, HRV, CX3 and Trax off my list. 

I'm not rough on my cars and I found the power comparable to my i30. I loved the adaptive CC, lane departure and blind spot monitoring. After reading reviews about noise and difficulty seeing out the rear, I was surprised that it was a quiet car and I could see fine. 

I was disappointed at no Apple Car Play and if the car didn't have voice activated calls I would've looked elsewhere, but I paired my iPhone and called my sister from the car to test it. 👍🏻👍🏻

I'm a little disappointed that it only takes premium fuel but I hope that means it's more economic?

I've been told my car starts production on May 1st, so now I just have to WAIT!

1 hour ago, AussieLE said:

I'm a little disappointed that it only takes premium fuel but I hope that means it's more economic?

Probably not to the point that it would make a large difference.

It would; however, keep the engine cleaner internally and potentially increase longevity of some components.

• Like 1

I have been reading the motoring reviews of the C-HR for some time looking for more than just a marketing blurb and found them quite wanting. 

Therefore, I will be quite interested to hear reviews from actual owners after 6-12 months.

Personally, I have concerns about the proposed extended 12 month service intervals and the CVT transmissions which are not likely to appear in the 3 year warranty period..