gsv40r presara door handle sensors

Arian10Daddy

Hi Everyone.

I have a 2010 presara bought recently, and apart from some issues here and there, one issue in particular is bothering me.

The door handle sensors for key-less locking and unlocking the driver door seem stop working intermittently. I haven't been able to figure out the exact situations that lead to the sensors not working.

For unlocking, I place the hand at the lower side of the handle, so the hand placement is not an issue.

For locking, the button on the handle has to be pressed. A pretty straightforward action here as well.

When the sensors don't work, there is a distinct single long beep sound  from the car instead of the actual lock/unlock action.

I have been trying to search for this issue on the internet but to no avail. Maybe I've been searching with the wrong keywords?

Any help would be appreciated!

Arian

Hi Varun..I was told when we purchased our's that the handle sensors can sometimes fail to read if the handles are dirty inside..very wet..or your hands are covered with dirt,oil etc..we have never had an issue with the sensors personally so don't know if the info is accurate..may be worth dropping into your local Toyota dealer to have them suggest solutions...another thought is the fob, as that is all the sensors are reading...I changed both fob batteries when we bought our Presara..always good to know they have fresh batteries

Hope you find a solution, and apart from that issue your ride is sweet

KAA

24 minutes ago, KAA said:

Hi Varun..I was told when we purchased our's that the handle sensors can sometimes fail to read if the handles are dirty inside..very wet..or your hands are covered with dirt,oil etc..we have never had an issue with the sensors personally so don't know if the info is accurate..may be worth dropping into your local Toyota dealer to have them suggest solutions...another thought is the fob, as that is all the sensors are reading...I changed both fob batteries when we bought our Presara..always good to know they have fresh batteries

Hope you find a solution, and apart from that issue your ride is sweet

KAA

Thanks for your input Robert. :)

I believe the issue I'm facing with the sensor is not because of the dirt or oil etc... seems something else.

Changing the battery is a good idea you have given. I'll try that.

Having said that, I'm going to ring up the dealership. I am still covered within the 3 months / 5,000 km statutory warranty for the used car (although I don't know what all is covered in that :S )

I am going to get the car into the dealership's service center for this issue along with the typical aurion issues of wobbly steering on uneven road, slight play in the steering on a normal straight stretch, and try my luck on the 5 kmph underspeed speedometer reading as well.

I hope I get these things fixed (without much impact to my pocket).

-Arian

thanks mate..hope the dealer is able to sort it out for you..I am sure they will...Eventually he he..Nice colour too ..keep us updated

KAA

2 minutes ago, KAA said:

thanks mate..hope the dealer is able to sort it out for you..I am sure they will...Eventually he he..Nice colour too ..keep us updated

KAA

I'm counting on that.. :D

Thanks, I love the color too... except for the fact that its too much towards the 'formal' side of the spectrum that I'm afraid of even thinking about an aftermarket spoiler... haha

Firstly, you haven't left the key in the in the car or a spare key in a hand bag etc.? This happens to prevent you locking the key on the car, but it will lock using the buttons on the key fob, because it knows you physically have it.

Secondly, when you mention the speedo, are you referring to the speedo showing 100kph while travelling at GPS 95kph? If so, this is meant to happen and it complies with Australian Design Rules(ADRs).

Link regarding ADR:

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/safety-on-the-road/driving-safely/speedo-accuracy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Firstly, you haven't left the key in the in the car or a spare key in a hand bag etc.? This happens to prevent you locking the key on the car, but it will lock using the buttons on the key fob, because it knows you physically have it.

Secondly, when you mention the speedo, are you referring to the speedo showing 100kph while travelling at GPS 95kph? If so, this is meant to happen and it complies with Australian Design Rules(ADRs).

Link regarding ADR:

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/safety-on-the-road/driving-safely/speedo-accuracy

The first key is always in my pocket. The second key, is a good point. I'll have to keep noticing the situations when it stops working...

You're right on the speedo thing, the 10%+4kmph tolerance... but then its on the discretion of the mechanic to match it 100% to the dyno reading.... I hope they match it...

I've gotta say, I prefer the real speed being under what the speedo reports.
Even though I know it's in my head, it feels damn good to lock the cruise control on the north side of the speed limit. Silly, but makes my driving experience that little bit more enjoyable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arian10Daddy said:

The first key is always in my pocket. The second key, is a good point. I'll have to keep noticing the situations when it stops working...

You're right on the speedo thing, the 10%+4kmph tolerance... but then its on the discretion of the mechanic to match it 100% to the dyno reading.... I hope they match it...

I very much doubt they will.

No Toyota dealership I have seen has had a dyno and it will fall on their head if they were to adjust anything and get it wrong.

Where did you get your information about the mechanic's discretion?

QLD Police still run the Aurion as they came from the factory and run an additional dyno calibrated speedometer for accurate speed checks.

12 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

No Toyota dealership I have seen has had a dyno and it will fall on their head if they were to adjust anything and get it wrong.

Where did you get your information about the mechanic's discretion?

QLD Police still run the Aurion as they came from the factory and run an additional dyno calibrated speedometer for accurate speed checks.

Its alright if they argue against adjusting it. I'm still going to try asking... If they don't, I just have to come up with a mental calibration I guess. :D

I can't use a phone app hooked to the dashboard to display the GPS speed reading. I'm a victorian green P plater. No phone use what so ever! even for navigational or speedo purposes. (that sucks! and is a discussion for another time). That's one of the reason why I opted for a presara over a prodigy. It's got a factory fitted Sat-Nav. (which is allowed by law... like that's any less disturbing to the driver's attention to road)

The issue I see with an over-reading is the angry pricks hoking and showing fingers when I'm travelling at 100kmph on a highway as per my speedo. Road rage alert! :D

And when I mentioned mechanic's discretion, I meant that they can't be forced into making the adjustment but they can make the same if they wish to. Obviously they would know the repercussions of the same. 

14 hours ago, LordBug said:

I've gotta say, I prefer the real speed being under what the speedo reports.
Even though I know it's in my head, it feels damn good to lock the cruise control on the north side of the speed limit. Silly, but makes my driving experience that little bit more enjoyable.

hahaha.. mind tricks.... <look cops, I'm overspeeding and you can't do anything about it> LOL!!!

On 24/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Arian10Daddy said:

The issue I see with an over-reading is the angry pricks hoking and showing fingers when I'm travelling at 100kmph on a highway as per my speedo. Road rage alert! :D

Drive to stay alive and keep your license. If anyone is going faster than me, I am quite happy to get out of their way so they can collect a speeding ticket. Girlfriend is a cautious driver on roads she is not familiar with. She got a bit of road rage and was eventually overtaken. Further down the road, she passed them with their vehicle in a ditch. She said "Happy motoring" to them. Karma.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You say you place you hand on the lower side of the handle...

To clarify,

Do you mean the inside (between the handle and the door) or do you actually mean the bottom (facing towards the ground)?

Also as mentioned earlier, the car won't lock if a fob is inside.

A long beep usually means a fob is in the car, a door is ajar. I don't recall if it's the same if the vehicle is not in park.

Three beeps is usually the engine is on but the fob has left the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 6:29 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

You folks were right. There was the second key in the bag and whenever the bag was inside the car the sensors would stop working. That solves that! I'm happy!

On 1/23/2017 at 6:29 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

Link regarding ADR:

On 1/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

The dealership pretty much told me they can't adjust the speedo... I kind of knew it would go this way.. :)

On 2/2/2017 at 5:57 PM, 07Prodigy said:

You say you place you hand on the lower side of the handle...

To clarify,

Do you mean the inside (between the handle and the door) or do you actually mean the bottom (facing towards the ground)?

I meant that I place my hand around the handle bringing it from under the handle. (although holding it either way works well)

Edited by Arian10Daddy
additional responses