AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
krigeroz

LED headlights

krigeroz    1

I was about to replace my halogens bulbs with led ones and just found that they are illegal In Australia...

Have anyone replaced their halogens lights with LED ones?

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/safety-on-the-road/driving-safely/headlights

Edited by krigeroz

trentmeyer23    467

Technically most modifications are illegal, just don't draw attention to yourself and get caught.

There are cars having LEDs as an option by the manufacturers... The best thing to do here is to take the LED lights out of such a car. Try online forums/portals for banged-up cars with parts being sold off... The best case, you would need just the bulb? The worst case, you may have to make some modification to your current assembly to fit the entire 'other car' assembly into it... That being said, the extent to which you have your heart set to have the LEDs will decide if you can go that extra mile. And if you decide to, then there is no shortage of mechanics to help you with that.

campbeam    76

Suggest that you give LED headlights a miss. Attached URL explains the different headlights.

When I have replaced halogen bulbs [not yet in the Aurion], I have selected halogen bulbs with more light output. Trade-off can be the bulb life, higher intensity but shorter life. 

This UK seller does have LED replacements for the fog lamps.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h11

http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/

KAA    33

Great read, I know the Police around the Central Coast here in NSW are pretty severe on Mods like headlights, so I suggest being very sure before altering yours Peter

thanks Ashley for the great Info

KAA

andrez5    0

I've heard that Osaram and Philips are better and whiter , yet don't have longer life.

campbeam    76

Based upon reading the specifications for different Osram and Philips halogen bulbs, there is a trade off between Kelvin and Lumens ratings and bulb life. Extreme white and brighter bulbs have a shorter life compared to original equipment.

Personally, I would find halogen bulbs rated at 30-60% more light on the road very suitable for my urban night time driving.

However, if I was doing a lot of night time driving on country roads then I would be going for the higher specification bulbs because the driving/safety advantage would easy outweight having to possibly replace them every 2 years.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Pockimon
      Hi Guys,
      I have a 2010 camry hybrid. I would like to upgrade my low beam lights to LED. I was looking at this item:
      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H7-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion-Kit-Super-Bright-White-Headlamp-Toyota-Camry-/351632664674?hash=item51def0a862:g:h-sAAOSw44BYHUmh
      Has anyone done this before? if so please let me know how it is. Also advice on installation would be appreciated. 

Thank you.
    • By WhiteZre182r
      Hey guys, I own a 2014 Corolla Ascent Sport Hatchback and was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some after market LED tail lights if it's possible. Thanks! :)
    • By Electricity
      Hi guys, just wanted to give out some information on a great deal I managed to find on Camry / Camry Hybrid 2012 to early 2015 model illuminated stainless steel sill plates. The one below I purchased sells for around $90AU on eBay. Managed to find the same one on Aliexpress for $49US ($66AU) shipped. ($2 discount coupon applied)
      Its a much better one than most of the models on eBay as it uses OEM retention clips rather than just sticky tape. Solid and good quality stainless steel plates. Also has black surrounds for the finished look. I will update with some high resolution photo's once installed but need help with installation. ^_^
      http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fit-For-Toyota-Camry-2012-2013-Blue-LED-Door-Sill-Protector-Pedals-Scuff-Plate-Guards-Sills/32333520526.html
      It only has 2 exposed wires for connection to the car and the whole loom is plug and play with the 4 sill plates. (All 4 illuminate) See photo's below. If anyone has any experience fitting this type, I would appreciate some help as to what location is best to tap the open door signal from. I have removed the rear seats and rear carpet to do some MLV sound deadening (road noise) so I have everything ready to go, just need help with where to tap the open door light source from.

• By DHA2453
      Wondering if anyone has had any experience installing an LED light bar on their Aurions.
    • By Zippo
      Hi,
      Found TOCAU after a google search for how to non-destructively get into the interior lamps in SWMBO's '13 Rolla Hatch (ZRE182). The plan was/is to replace the incandescents with decent LEDs.
      I've been doing this sort of stuff for yonks, but most times the careful insertion of ye olde small flat-blade driver pops the cover off and all is good. Not this girl. So I haven't even got to first base (confirming the style/size) so I can get the LEDs under way except for the front personals (which are 27/28mm festoon). Front "room" and rear personals have push-to-switch covers which won't respond nicely to levering. And it looks like the whole trim piece has to be removed for the boot light ...??
      Anyone here been-there-done-that on this series?