98 Octane Fuel

Mr EB

Toyota Aurion, 2009 standard model. Been using the 98 octane petrol. Much better drive, more power and better fuel economy on long drives. Any comment on using 98 octane?

It's the better of the Australian pump fuels and that's about it.

Also, please title title your topics with a short description about your question, not your username. I have changed it for you.

4 hours ago, Mr EB said:

Toyota Aurion, 2009 standard model. Been using the 98 octane petrol. Much better drive, more power and better fuel economy on long drives. Any comment on using 98 octane?

Have you checked the FAQ's, already a lot of posts and opinions on this matter...

• 4 weeks later...

I use the 98 sometimes when it's not at RIP OFF levels.

It does make a difference to standard 91 (Fly Spray)

And there's nothing wrong with E10 either. The car is optimised for E10 so don't let the scare mongers scare you off E10. I think E10 is better than the rubbish 91 offers.

I used to always prefer VPower on my previous celicas, now I have a 2nd car which is my DD - a gen4 Camry Azura with the 1MZ-FE I have been using BP Ultimate 98 mostly - it's good @ the price I pay for it although I don't think is necessary. Have also tried Ultimate with about 5L of E85 in it which is quite impressive ;)

Bottom line - 98 in this country should be way better than what it is & certainly cheaper - the price difference is getting ridiculous. I'm not convinced yet that 98 makes that much of a difference in km's driven to offset the cost.

Have a read of the final paragraph. All about the specific vehicle tuning by the manufacturer. There is a YouTube video done in the UK that demonstrates this exact point.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/2014/11/14/premium-fuel-waste-money/

For those who can tolerate having personal opinions challenged by not so polite commentary.

In conclusion, the Aurion engine is E10 compatible and 91 RON minimum with expected 200KW output. There is also the ECM so the vehicle "learns" or adjusts. We all have our own personal experiences for our specific vehicle/s and fuel preferences. However, I do believe [previous reading but do not have the supporting articles, URLs etc] that the 2GR-FE engine tune will output a few more KWs with 95 RON.

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

However, I do believe [previous reading but do not have the supporting articles, URLs etc] that the 2GR-FE engine tune will output a few more KWs with 95 RON.

Correct. It probably will make a little more power, but anyone that says they can feel it, is suffering from the placebo effect.

In order for a power gain to be truely noticable, a general rule of around 10% increase is required.

Is it a power gain or a restoration of lost power from knock due to poor fuel ?

John Cadogan is a funny f*!@k and I agree with what he's saying. The problem with the minimum RON in this country is that it's not good enough, the fuel is a poorer quality than say in the US where their 91AKI has a "higher resistance to knock" than our equivalent. A good example is my Toyota 86 which has a compression ratio of 12.5:1 & is designed to run on 98 or better yet ecu logging proves exactly what John is talking about - the knock sensors are telling the ecu to pull back timing because the engine is pinging/knocking effectively slowing engine acceleration, ie: engine performance is not 100%. You can hear it & feel the difference when the RON is increased.

The same engine with the same & unchanged compression ratio can also be tuned to run on E85 which has a greater/immense resistance to knock - in actual fact logging proves it doesn't to any great degree & therefore the ecu doesn't pull back timing (the fuels high RON allowing more advanced timing than stock even) allowing the engine to perform at it's maximum giving you greater engine acceleration & pulling power unlike the lesser 98 fuel. This is what I believe from experience & believe that 95/98 do the same for 91 although not to the same extent as switching to E85.

Where all this matters is if you have a sensitive enough ***** to feel the difference or perhaps you don't need or care for it. I felt the difference almost immediately in my previous gen7 Celica with that highly strung 1.8 VVTLi the moment I poured in some United 100 for testing & I'm certain I'm feeling it in the 1MZ-FE also when I recently tested a mix of 98/E85 for the heck of it, str8 98 even. I'm certain the Aurion will be no different but do you need/want it ? My Camry Azura is a sedately driven daily & I'm thinking I will save the $$ as I'm striving for maximum economy & believe 91 will be fine unless I start hearing it ping its head off like some new cars on the road.

Edited by ZZT86

E85 is a different beast though, it's not as comparable as 91, 95 and 98 octane. It's in a league of its own.

The cooling effect/RON is a massive step up and with that ability for the ECU to throw timing at it, can definitely hit that 10%+ figure quite easily.

The old 100 octane could have quite possibly done the same, obviously not quite as effectively as E85.

Be very careful throwing E85 at old Toyotas as well, the fuel seals, hoses and o-rings have already had a tough life. The E85 will do its best to destroy them rapidly. It will also clean the years of deposits out and send them towards your fuel filter and injectors.

The OP has opened up a can of worms similar to oils :wacko:

Header/E85 = 25% plus big fat/flatter torque delivery !

91>98 = not much difference except less knocking & perhaps a cleaner engine on 91rec cars.

Understood re valid point of using E85 in older cars not used to running the stuff, hence it was a mix effectively giving me E10 & only tried once for that very reason, hence also why I'm using 98 since acquiring the Azura a few months ago to help clean up the fuel system & it's running great, acquired with 75K kms.

On 3/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, ZZT86 said:

The OP has opened up a can of worms similar to oils :wacko:

Yep. Oil threads are like waving a red rag to a bull. I never participate in oil threads. You'll just be asking for trouble 

• 1 month later...

All my cars use 98 fuel. Not so much the power factor but more the smoothness. I had a Tarago TCR10 before. Fed that with 98 and it could really go. Fuel consumption improved too.