Rav4 2009 ACA33R - Timing belt or chain?

churnedprism

Hi everyone

I'm looking at buying a ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser manual 2009. When I inspected the engine it looked to me like it had a timing belt, but I've since read that it should have a timing chain. Can anyone advise what Rav4s from this era have? 

Thanks 

Hopefully, this previous thread answers your question. Just in case, the vehicle has had an engine transplant, best to check the engine number against the VIN and compliance plate.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

Hi campbeam

Thanks for the information. I think I may have confused the timing chain with the fan belt. The fan belt is the belt you can see if looking over the engine (mounted on the left), and the timing chain would be concealed. Is that correct do you know?

Many thanks

10 minutes ago, churnedprism said:

Hi campbeam

Thanks for the information. I think I may have confused the timing chain with the fan belt. The fan belt is the belt you can see if looking over the engine (mounted on the left), and the timing chain would be concealed. Is that correct do you know?

Many thanks

Correct, timing belts/chains are almost never exposed on stock-standard engines (some people do remove timing covers to show off adjustable cam-gears etc).