2014 Aurion Strut Brace

the_ash

Couple of questions i need clarifiying before i splurge out on a brace for my 2014 Aurion:

What strut braces are available for these cars?

Are aluminium braces really as bad as the steel brace manufacturers make them out to be?

If you've fitted a brace does it foul anywhere or did it need customising?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Syndicates said:

My 2 cents, I bought an ALU one, but more for aesthetics, I've noticed that it does cover the brake filler pot.

Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any improvement in handling?

Unless you are fanging around a track, its not gunna do jack squat, Syndicates is giving you an honest first hand opinion

I have also had the front strut brace under consideration for quite some time. What I have noticed is that the front strut towers in my 2006 Aurion are already braced with brackets to the firewall so it is more on the bargain/attractively priced only list .

A few years ago, I did my “research”. If you want aesthetics then buy the cheaper bolt together shiny aluminium strut brace. If you want functionality, then buy a rigid one piece steel  strut brace.Ultra Racing and Whiteline ended up being on my preferred brand list

Based upon my personal experience with my 1998 Camry, I can recommend the Ultra Racing product. The combination of new Boge struts, heavy duty King springs and the front strut brace resulted in negligible body roll turning into suburban streets and going through roundabouts. The front strut brace was fitted a few weeks/months after the suspension replacement and it made an extra handling improvement.

However, based upon other previous posts in the Aurion Forum, I would be more inclined to firstly upgrade the rear sway bar to reduce body roll.

Ultra Racing says that the 40R strut brace wont fit my 50R, which is a shame. I had a whiteline strut brace and rear sway bar on my TJ Magna which made her compliant as hell on 17" ralliart enkei's. If the general concensus is that 50R's dont need strut bracing then I'll run with that, but if an ali brace will assist what is there then im also for it. I was already going for the rear sway bar because the back end is a bit too sloppy for me. As for suspension, when the need arises in about 100,000km im thinking of coilovers so i can dial in the handling/height. and im thinking 17" genuine toyota rims, or perhaps the enkei's in the shed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks fo the repies.

Ive had a look at that bracing on the firewall/strut towers, definitely looks like it adds something to the structural integrity. So i guess it's rear swaybar upgrade and ralliart enkei's for now, and coilovers in ~100,000km when the shocks are shot.

I just installed a rear sway bar from Ultra Racing. It makes one hell of a difference. My car sits on 18" wheels. Now with the strut bar and rear sway bar it is very balanced in corners.

Did you install the strut brace first, then later, the sway bar ?

Did you really notice any difference with the strut brace alone ?

I would be more inclined to do the sway bar that the strut brace. But, if the combination actually works, then why not ??

How much did the rear sway bar cost ?

Rear Sway Bar AUD278 delivered. The strut bar was about AUD150. True, the sway bar by itself will improve handling but I prefer to do both. I have a CJ Lancer which I use for driver training and I did both as well. Corners like a dream.

• 4 months later...

Interested in this thread, I have the same car & model as the OP. My other car is a Mitsubishi 380 SX (sports model) with standard strut brace & stiffer springs. I drove a standard 380 model without the brace & stiffer springs and the difference was very noticeable