Kluger cam chain replacement

DavePrado

Hi all, My sister has a 2010 Kluger (Australia). It was run low an oil and is now making a nasty rattling noise which seems to worst at idle. It's been like this for a few thousand k's without getting noticeably worse. Toyota has said it needs a new engine. Although a 3rd part mechanic thinks he can replace the cam chain and tensioner and it should solve it for $3k but it involves removing the engine. Do you need to remove the engine to change the cam chain and tensioner in these? Is that an OK price to do it? Would you take the gamble?

The oil level? Very low. Was driven around like that for a while too. It's a continuous noise when running. Hot or cold. Still there at higher revs but doesn't worsen.

I personally would not risk it. 

$3K is a lot of money to spend considering there could be substantial crankshaft/conrod bearing wear/damage, potentially resulting in a catastrophic failure at a later date.

It's going to be expensive, regardless of the avenue taken.

It would be a good idea to be using a full synthetic engine oil with the SN oil classification.

I have been using XADO products mainly in the engine for more than 6 years for efficiency and preventative maintenance purposes. If you "accept" their claims, XADO will rebuild worn [not broken] parts back to specification. Suggest that you do your own Google/internet searches and decide whether you want to "take a $100 gamble". 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251759288192?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If either of the above do not reduce or eliminate that rattling noise, then I would be looking at a dismantle of the VVT-i system to check whether the pin is engaging. After that you will need to consider the expensive options of an engine rebuild or replacement.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

If either of the above do not reduce or eliminate that rattling noise, then I would be looking at a dismantle of the VVT-i system to check whether the pin is engaging. After that you will need to consider the expensive options of an engine rebuild or replacement.

The pin should only be engaged on start up, hydraulic(oil) control takes over cam timing/positioning during normal operation.