Aurion hand brake light on

Ven.D

Hi guys, 

I recently done service which included flushing brake fluid and replacing brake pads. After the service I had the hand brake light on constantly. I went back to mechanic and he said it's because the sensor got blocked after flushing and requires replacing. He quoted me 600 to do that. I declined. I temporary disconnected the sonsor plug to get rid of annoying light. Before replacing master cylinder I want to explore other options. What else could be the reason? 

P.S. the level of fluid in master cylinder is way over the max line, could this be the problem? 

Thanks 

I thought all handbrakes are mechanical, hence a micro switch on the foot lever/hand brake. Are they hydraulically actuated then with electronic sensors signalling the dash cluster ?

I don't know for sure as I've never sussed it out. Interesting though.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
typo

On my 2006 Aurion, the foot parking brake is definitely mechanical and spreads the single piece brake shoe inside the rotor hub. Checked a few days ago and the parking brake light comes on befoe I have fully pushed down the foot parking brake indicating that there is a switch most likely under the dash.

This is why when I originally looked at this post, it was not making sense.  No wonder about the response from Trent.

I never messed around with ours, but there should be a switch near the top of the pedal, very similar to a brake pedal switch.

The circuit will be open when the pedal is released(at the top of travel) and closed once the pedal has been depressed past the length of the switch travel.

It should be somewhat similar to this:

1.jpg

Well given that information, the O.P. must have a faulty park brake switch then. Probably a coincidence it played up just after having the brake fluid flushed.

I dont see how the fluid sensor has anything to do with the park brake system. As mentioned by that dodgy mechanic. "Sensor got blocked", wow !  This should be independant of the hydraulics. 

The fluid sensor should only warn you if your brake fluid is low. Correct ?

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Well given that information, the O.P. must have a faulty park brake switch then. Probably a coincidence it played up just after having the brake fluid flushed.

I dont see how the fluid sensor has anything to do with the park brake system. As mentioned by that dodgy mechanic. "Sensor got blocked", wow !  This should be independant of the hydraulics. 

The fluid sensor should only warn you if your brake fluid is low. Correct ?

The system may utilise the same light; however, I would like to see if it is the park brake light or brake failure light.

SO to clarify, if i disconnect the sensor plug from the master cylinder. everything works how it should. if i apply handbrake - light comes on, depress - goes off. but if the sensor is connected - light stays on all the time. thanks 

I have tried many options but nothing actually works. the light does not cause any troubles: abs works, traction control works etc so looks like i have to leave as is

I came across this kink before but got really confused with the last post 

"I have resolved the problem with the sensor, thanks to your help.When i unplugged the connector the light disappeared thus verifying the sensor as the problem.So i proceeded to switch around the sensors and everything is fine now.
Before i accept, would you know which is the primary port in the master cylinder. Is it the one closer to the booster?".

what do they mean by primary and secondary ports? Are there two sensors? Did anyone take their master cylinder apart? It's hard to see the back of it as it is partially under the windshield.

Same question asked in that URL. Primary port is the one closest to the booster.

Don't know the answers to your other questions. Hopefully others who do know will reply.