Missing 5th gear

ToyotaDan

Hi again everyone. This morning whilst on a drive I realised that my tarago no longer goes into 5th gear. Yesterday it drove beautifully but today when I put it in 5th it's like it's in neutral, doesn't even stall when stopped. I'm really hoping someone can confirm my suspicion that the gearbox has an internal selector pin for each gear and that I won't need to replace the gearbox? 

3 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Assuming manual gearbox?

There are shift forks which attach to shift rods. You could pull the shifter out and look at the shift rods.

Being mid-engined I imagine it'd be a remote cable-shifter, so getting access to the top of the box to check linkages might be a bit hard (depending on where they are on the box).

Quick check, does reverse still work?

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

Being mid-engined I imagine it'd be a remote cable-shifter, so getting access to the top of the box to check linkages might be a bit hard (depending on where they are on the box).

Quick check, does reverse still work?

For some reason, I read Hilux, not Tarago. There would likely be a bell crank in that case.

Is it more of a case that it is popping out of 5th gear, a known issue for some 5 speed transmissions? .

Suggest also checking the transmission oil level, Not going to solve worn gears components but a low oil lwevel would indicate the cause for wear.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Is it more of a case that it is popping out of 5th gear, a known issue for some 5 speed transmissions? .

This would be the case if the gear had been able to be engaged in the first place and then popped out, which is usually input/output shaft bearings.

Back to the question at hand. If you have a means of getting underneath(safely), I would hop under and have someone move the shifter whilst observing the shift linkages/bell crank. 

If this is not possible, I would suggest getting a mechanic to have a look.

Hey guys, thanks for all of your responses. It doesn't pop out of 5th gear, but there's no resistance when you select 5th gear which leads me to believe that it's not selecting anything. Reverse still works fine so does first through fourth gears and there were no loud crashes or bangs to suggest that something actually happened to shred the gears. I think I may have to get a mechanic to have a look at it, just because it's very difficult to jack it up high enough.