Welding '97 hilux rear diff

Jake Camplin

G'day guys, 

I own a '97 dual cab ln106 hilux which I believe came out of the factory with an open rear diff as it is not a top of the range model. Recently I went 4wding with a mate who owns the same generation hilux but he has an air locker in the rear and his car was way more capable offroad (mostly sand dunes/beach and hillclimbs). Now I would love to put an air locker or E-locker in mine but spending $1000+ on one doesn't sound like the greatest investment for a 20 year old ute that's worth about $4000.

So after doing some research I found that welding the rear diff would pretty much the same job apart from that i wouldn't be able to turn it off/unlock the diff. I've only ever heard of people welding diffs on burnout/drift cars and I know I will get skipping when turning slow and sharp corners (e.g carparks) and increased tyre wear.

But i wanted to know if anyone has experience in welding diffs on hiluxs or even any 4wds at all and if the axles and components will be able to handle the extra load and stress  

If you are happy to live with the cons, then it may be the option for you. Keep in mind it is not legal.

An added con is, that already bus-like turning circle, will only get bigger. So say goodbye to tight carparks.

It is a case by case basis regarding the breaking of components. Some do, some don't.

I would; however, try and track down a secondhand locker before going to the extremes of welding.

You will want to make sure that the welds are clean and no weld debris ends up in the diff carrier. It will chew the bearings up quicker than the time it took you to weld it.

You will likely end up defected and not able to pass a roadworthy, depending on state.