Aftermarket Multimedia unit

calo78

Hi all.

I'm keen on replacing the factory stereo unit in my 2016 Kluger GXL. Looking at a Pioneer 8850BT & maybe upgrading the speakers (Maybe a hideaway sub as well), will be installed by a qualified person too.

Has anyone put in an aftermarket unit in a 2014-2016 Kluger? 

Did you have any issues, like with the steering wheel controls, or any other electrical operations?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Jason.

• 2 months later...

I have done it on a 2012 model and it was very easy even though it appeared difficult in examples shown on youtube and toyota nation.
I recommend researching these as much as you can..
One tip ... cover any surface that may get scratched especially the glossy finish on the console.
I installed a unit from Joying.  It fits perfectly and looks like factory fit. 
If not included in your kit i recommend getting the correct antenna adapter to utilise the built in antenna system and booster.  Without it reception will be poor.
When fitted the reception strength is far better than the factory toyota unit... which surprised me.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=toyota+antenna+adapter&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE8fGX_avUAhXRNpQKHfkJBmwQsAQIag&biw=1366&bih=645
Do not use the cheap after market antenna boosters... junk and not needed.
I cannot fault the Joying unit.  It performs better than expected, is stable and has no lag.
We purchased a new aurion as a second car and regrettably opted for their upgraded jbl nav/audio system which was more than twice the price of the Kluger Joying unit which outperforms and has heaps more capabilities and features.
Also with the android based after market units you can use one of the many free android nav programs which include good maps with free updates.
I have 3 installed in my Joying unit and you can allocate one to be the default nav program to be activated by the nav button.
The unit came with all the correct connectors except for the antenna one mentioned above.  The steering wheel buttons are customisable within the units settings panel to react as before or to any settings you like.
I did make a couple of enquiries with Joying when I was installing and their response time and the advice given was perfect.
Be careful with what unit you choose... some of the chinese units are excellent and well made.... but there are some poor ones as well.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R
Adapter link.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

If you want anything decent it has to have DAB radio and good USB / BT  compatability - I am planning on getting one installed (I would do it myself - I have a double din kenwood deck, 2 amps, 2 bazooka subs (minus middle seatbelt) in my wifes 2011 kxr awd. You could easily get  6/9's in the rear or small 6/10 sub's, then mids in the middle, and splits up front - 2 amps + installation would take a day, though I would expect 5 hours max unless they need to fab something.

I put alpine Navi in , love it , can split the screen have maps and media,  full HD,  and alpine have a fascia piece that looks it came from the factory , u would think it came with it

INE-W957A

7″ DVD/USB/HDMI/Bluetooth Advanced Navi Station

FA55AF45-0142-46A8-85A3-57E0F33BE155.thumb.png.7d2f09750a0fcdf50b5cb970b7ff5922.png
Edited by Fitzy270